Only $60 to "test" base/rings/scope on an Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, I am well aware that good glass costs money and is well worth the investment... My Rem 700 .222 has a Nikon Monarch, and my Mdl 70 6.5x55 has a nice Leupold.

My T/C Omega X7 has a peep sight, which I do like, since it's quick and foolproof (weatherproof too) and I shoot well with peeps.

But... Seems everyone is using scopes on their inlines and now I'm thinking about adding a scope to the X7 to extend my accurate sighting to the accurate range the rifle can provide.

But "Geez Louise" there is a WIDE ARRAY of choices in bases, rings and scopes -- colors, 1 or 2 piece, fixed or QD, fixed or variable, plex or BDC reticles, low-cost to high-cost, low to med to high heights... LOTS of options and choices, which "should" be good, but can be SCARY...

'Cause I'm just a little concerned that I might like to stay with the receiver mounted peep sight the X7 has on it after all...

So I was thinking... (which is always dangerous!) :wink:

For only $60.00, Dick's SG has a 3-9X Traditions scope, packed with bases to fit CVA, Knight or T/C and the rings. For just $60...

Yes, I KNOW the scope won't be the best, but for short change, it would give me the opportunity to try out a scope versus the peep sight. Then if I like the peep, I haven't lost much. But if I do decide the scope is the way to go, at least I'll have an idea of what I don't want to end up with and can make a better decision on what I be getting knowing that's what I'll end up with and will keep it on there for good.

Your thoughts are welcome... "Why not???"

Or, does anyone else really like peeps too???

(Hunting in midcoast Maine, thick woods, very few spots with clear lanes ?100 yards... Averages shots at deer at < 75 yards here...)

Thanks!

Old No7

$60.00 test

I'm a newbe here as well AND a Mainer. I know the mount/ring/scope thing can be abit confusing. Just remember that the weather during ML season here can be nasty and you have to rely on the scope to be there,.... nice & clear if need it. For the $ a Bushnell Trophy series like a 1.5 to 4x is not a bad scope.I have one on a 22 that has seen some nasty weather and its held up well. Check any shops in your area for a quality used scope. Mount it low, zero it at 0 to 1.5 in. high @ 100yds. Sounds to me like you kinda like your peep.I used a peep most of my life but my eyes arn't what they used to be so all my rifles have scopes now.

Do you have a friend that has a scope on his ML ? If so the two of you could meet at the range and you could go back and forth between his scoped ML and yours with the peep. Then all you would have invested is the cost of bullets , powder and primer. Plus you would spend time with a friend doing what you both enjoy. That sounds like a win win to me.

Re: $60.00 test

fisher1 said:
I'm a newbe here as well AND a Mainer. I know the mount/ring/scope thing can be abit confusing. Just remember that the weather during ML season here can be nasty and you have to rely on the scope to be there,.... nice & clear if need it. For the $ a Bushnell Trophy series like a 1.5 to 4x is not a bad scope.I have one on a 22 that has seen some nasty weather and its held up well. Check any shops in your area for a quality used scope. Mount it low, zero it at 0 to 1.5 in. high @ 100yds. Sounds to me like you kinda like your peep.I used a peep most of my life but my eyes arn't what they used to be so all my rifles have scopes now.

I had a Trophy on my ml. I had 5 Trophy scopes at one time. I used to love them. The one on my ml used to fog up constantly in fowl weather. I couldnt take it anymore. I went to a Bushnell Elite with rainguard, havent had a problem since so I replaced them all with Elites. I do have 1 Trophy left that is brand new and I am either going to put it on my slug gun that I never use or trade up to an Elite for it.

$60 sounds like a great deal for that package though. The mounts & rings would be $30 even for low quality ones.

I use an "cheap" tradition's scope.I have a few hundred shots with it.It still keeps zero as long as I don't take it off during cleaning...cheap scope base,and rings.Even with rough rides in the truck.The BDC rect.(ya...even tradition's has one too) is even pretty close up to a hundred yards...haven't shot past that to comment on the other marks.The only thing I disliked about the package was the lack of technical descriptions in the instructions.I wish I knew who made em for traditions,so i can get more info on em.

Cell

Latest posts

Back