GOEX going out of business!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
posted it couple days ago, also S&W is moving to Maryville Tennessee and possible leasing out its Missouri facility.

The decision to sell GOEX
<iframe width="724" height="407" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe someone will be buying Goex, we might see a dead spot in production, but then it will pick up again.... I'm getting the materials to make my own.

IMO: GOEX is a goner.

Gearhart-Owen (GOEX) purchased the Du Pont black powder plant in Belin, PA in 1972.
two major accidents took the lives of five employees in 1991 and 1997. After the 1997 explosion GOEX moved operations to Minden, LA where the accidents continued.

E:\Powder papers\Black Powder CD\GOEX\history.wpd (freeshell.org)

The Minden plant has experienced seven explosions and/or fires since 1997, the most recent explosion and fire took place in June, 2021. The 2011 explosion and fire happened after an employee tossed floor sweepings into the batch.

Parts for the mills are no longer manufactured. Parts are custom made at great expense.

was that the Hercules powder company? I made equipment for them years ago. We always felt bad when we revived a rush order to replace equipment destroyed by an accident. We also made mixers for their chemical operations just a different colored paint and their badge on the machine.

are the mishaps due to personal error?

For sure the 1911 explosion that destroyed the corning mill was due to employee carelessness.

Microsoft Word - F3EDA668.doc (freeshell.org)

The document at the link was written by Bill Knight (AKA Dutch Bill and The Mad Monk). Bill Knight was an analytical chemist with the most knowledge of blackpowder manufacture of anyone who ever existed.

Read Labor Problems beginning on page 4.

Hodgdon Powder made a big mistake when the company purchased GOEX.

Latest posts

Back