Goex FFFg a real winner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonE

Reaction score
Yesterday at our club's monthly shoot I used Goex FFFg unlike the previous one I used Goex FFg

The previous shoot I fired 8 rounds with terrible fouling with the FFg. Yesterday I shot all 20 targets without cleaning my bore using FFFg. My pillow ticking roll had been soaked with TC Bore Butter, and each patch cut at the bore as the ball was partial started, then cut.

The only issue I had, was my back, which effected my walking along the course of fire... I missed one gong, but redeemed myself with a second shot, but missed the cracker on the 2x4.

It was a great day, until the snow storm blew in.

Attachments

• Feb 8 shoot.png
    Feb 8 shoot.png
    698.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Feb 8 shoot1.png
    Feb 8 shoot1.png
    711.3 KB · Views: 11
  • snow storm feb 8.jpg
    snow storm feb 8.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 11
I too switched to 3f from always using 2f in my .54 cal. The fouling difference is remarkable.

I can't really swear that 3F is "cleaner" but I use it out of habit and it works great for my uses. I've never seen any clean black powder.

After reading test reports, articles on the two and personally testing for the last 40 years off and on. I don't have or had any 2FF in the house for at least 30 years. The group that I shoot with hasn't used any 2FF powder for 25 years that I know of, we just adjust the amount of 3FFF we shoot in small caliber or large caliber firearms.

Our muzzleloading club's powder magazine has or had 250 lbs of 3FFF, and 50 lbs of the other types. We will run out of 3FFF way before all the other powder when reordered from Coonies.

Hanshi it's what your use to and what your guns like. :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
How true!. I shoot mostly 3f Goex in most of my guns, but my two .58s just don't take a shine to it. I get much better accuracy with 2f with these guns. You just have to experiment to see what your gun likes.

I'm another FFFg guy. The only longarm that doesn't care is a 19 gauge smoothbore. It will eat FFFg or FFg with equal performance. Everything rifled uses FFFg.

At one time, I used both granulations in my firearms, but finally started using 3f in them all. It gives me good performance in everything from my .40's to my .62's. I still have some 2f around here somewhere, and might try it again someday in something....but at the present time I find no need.

Back