777 / pyrodex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracker1

Reaction score
my last ML was a tc encore. i shot 250 grn shockwaves with both 2- 50grn and 3-50grn pyro pellets. second shots were fairly easy to load once i got it started. at the range i could shoot 3 shots, swab with bore butter, then dry patch. i never had an issue loading.
last year i bought an omega and thought i would switch to 777 and there primers. no matter what i do that thing is a real bear to load once fired.
i don't have the encore anymore to compare, had to sell it for some cash.
my question is, is it the gun or the new 777? that stuff cleans up much easier but last year i had to take a second shot at a deer and almost couldn't reload in the woods.
thank you

the omega more than likely had a tighter bore. Also, dont swab with bore butter, that stuffs good for patch lube and to lube conicals but pretty much useless for anything else.

tracker1

You might want to look at the new powder BH-209... I still prefer T7 basically because of price, but if you can afford it BH is the way to go especially of you are an occasional shooter....

after doing some reading on this site i'm done with bore butter. i would just like to know, is t7 usually harder to load the second shot than pyro?

I used T7 (pellets) for a while,and got tired of the crud ring (they did shoot well,though). I use pyrodex pellets now,and don't battle the crud ring! :D I allways swab the bore between shot,(at the range,and hunting). At the range I use Mean Green window cleaner,with vinegar,hunting I use a spit patch,both work well. By cleaning between shots the gun allways loads/shoots well. My gun allways gets a good cleaning after being shot,so the non crossive/less crossive/ powder issue is a moot point! Ron

Tripple Seven is cleaner and you should be able to load a second shot with out swabbing the bore, or at lease I can with my Knight Disc extreme.
To get around the crude ring, use Winchester tripple seven 209 primers or the Remington brand of ML primers. The crude ring is due to the primer moving the bullet prior to the powder burning. That is why people shooting rifles with caps never have this problem.

Another advantage of Triple 7 is its far less corrosive than Pyro.As far as the crud ring goes, swab between shots and its a non issue.I swab in the field as well as on the range.It gives me a chance to calm down and replay the shot before I go looking for the critter.Its got alittle more oomph than Pyro for the same charge too.

i'm thinking maybe the use of bore butter is my problem.
i was hoping that someone was going to tell me that t7 will do that cause i heard they use suger in that and charcoal in pyro.
with my encore i always used wd40 to clean and protect the barrel, the omega, bore butter.

Latest posts

Back