Who makes the highest quality muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who makes the the best muzzlelaoder?

• Thompson Center

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CVA

• Savage

• Knight

• Traditions

• White

• Lyman

• NULA

• Remington

• NEF

• Ultimate

• Bad Bull

• Other

• Total voters
i voted for the ultimate.....it claims tobe a custom but is it really? would it be possible to get one in .44 cal? guessing not.......so that would be more of a production rifle in my opinion.
ruger,which is never mentioned,makes the only hammerforged barrel with line rifling that i know of.
white insdpired knight and is still superior to the knight and the T/C.
the badbull muzzleloader is pretty much on a different level than anything else.it's almost unreal.....................lol
my ultimate would be something in .44 cal with about a 24" barrel with 1/22" twist line rifling in a hammerforged ss barrel.unsure of the action,either a doublelug bolt action or ruger#1.capable of using appx 110-120fffg T7 with a copper jacketed 275gr semi-spitzer conical.in theory this could produce velocities near 2,500-2,600 fps..............is it possible?

I own muzzleloaders made by TC, Austin Halleck, Remmington, and White and have shot rifles made by these companies and Knight that belong to friends. They have all been of very good quality and some real good shooters but my preference has always been the early Whites.

Grouse said:
Out of all that are listed the NULA wins that hands down. I dont think thats fair comparing it to production guns. The Savage would be my first choice in production Muzzleloaders.

I agree...

I checked White as well, but the question was who MAKES... :cry:

Leaves a few of those on the list disqualified. Certainly all the smokeless devices on there should be disqualified. 8) :wink:

White, Remington, and NEF no longer make muzzleloaders. Remington hasn't made one since 2003 or 2004. I'd have probably picked the 700ML if it were still in production. If it loads from the muzzle, it's a muzzleloader.

I'd say this has turned into a popularity contest, rather than a quality contest.

Maybe lack of sales, poor R&D, poor marketing, poor quality and low popularity had something to do with these firms no longer selling muzzleloaders. I for one wouldn?t care to have any product that I couldn?t easily find parts for no matter what kind of a deal I got on it. Since the CVA website says that they are ?America?s #1 Selling Muzzleloader?, I?m surprised they have just 4 votes here so far if this was a popularity contest.

T/C is the most popular gun because pepole buy what they see on T/V. CVA if it is actually popular, is because they are cheap.

I picked knight, i have never shot alot of those muzzle loaders on the pole. The knight is an affordable gun with great quality.

Swamp- Yup a "White" is just a poor quality gun that's why I own 5 of em

i voted T/C ENCORE without hesitation ..to proof my choice i sold all of my other ML. and kept only one the ENCORE ..don't get me wrong ,if u are comfortable with 5 or 10 ML hanging on the wall nothing wrong with that ..i noticed when u always hunt with the same rifle there is less hesitation and fumbling in a hunting situation .but then that is just me ...

black powder said:
i voted T/C ENCORE without hesitation ..to proof my choice i sold all of my other ML. and kept only one the ENCORE ..don't get me wrong ,if u are comfortable with 5 or 10 ML hanging on the wall nothing wrong with that ..i noticed when u always hunt with the same rifle there is less hesitation and fumbling in a hunting situation .but then that is just me ...

I did something similar several years ago. I bought a Ruger 77/22 .22 Mag rifle for groundhogs and other small game because where I live does not allow CF rifles for hunting. When I went to buy an inline, I bought a Ruger 77/50. Same action, safety in the same place. I hunt black bear in an area that allows CF rifles so I bought a Ruger 77 MII.

That solved my problem for a while until I got bored, because last year I bought a couple of Knight inlines. I practice enough with them that I don't usually forget what I am using at the moment of truth. It's a curse, I like variety too much. :lol:

I have been wondering why some names were included ? If they don't make it any more then that says it all. Lee

:shock: no votes for lyman? come on guys! they make excellent sidelocks and flinters. Im shooting my Whop .45 right now.

knight and t.c makes a smoke pole :shock: :shock: the t.c encore cost what kills it :?: :?: what about MARKS BERRY :shock: :shock:

Lee- My older, not made any more White, in my Opinon Is by far, a better quality gun than half the stuff made today.

Back