Who makes the highest quality muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who makes the the best muzzlelaoder?

• Thompson Center

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CVA

• Savage

• Knight

• Traditions

• White

• Lyman

• NULA

• Remington

• NEF

• Ultimate

• Bad Bull

• Other

• Total voters

Doohan

Reaction score
If you could only have one for LIFE... what would it be?
* Quality
* Reliability
* Accuracy

45 cal Douglas 22 twist bbl on a Ruger #1 action with a SMI breech plug.

Either that or a Chevy, no, I mean a Ford. No a chevy...

Out of all that are listed the NULA wins that hands down. I dont think thats fair comparing it to production guns. The Savage would be my first choice in production Muzzleloaders.

Choosing between the Knight and Savage was tough. I finally went with Knight.

Grouse said:
Out of all that are listed the NULA wins that hands down. I dont think thats fair comparing it to production guns. The Savage would be my first choice in production Muzzleloaders.

I feel the same way. Out of all these guns I ALWAYS grab my NULA.

I put them all in the thread just because... I started out only with mainstream manufacturers and threw the rest in.

Savage, Hands Down. I love the way my Triumph shoots but the longer I own it the less impressed I am with the way it's built.
Zen

Production rifle= Savage.

Custom rifle= Ultimate.

I own two Savages and more Thompson/Centers than I can count. I like T/C's traditional guns but the Savage takes the cake for a production in-line.

The only custom muzzleloader I own, that I didn't build, is the Ultimate. I have not shot a NULA, although, I have handled one.
The Bad-Bull looks nice, except for the goofy priming procedure.
The only advantage the NULA or Bad-Bull has over the Ultimate is smokeless powder, but, honestly, I'll take accuracy over velocity any day, and the Ultimate is as accurate as they get. Period.

Many of them brands I have no experience with. So of the ones that I personally have experience with, I would have to pick a White Rifle. I have found very little that it will not shoot. Plus I like shooting conicals, and were I hunt they are a good choice of projectile. So I had to go to a White Rifle.

The problem with them is they are no longer made. But there are parts and rifles out there.

Easily a Savage 10ML-II. It truly WILL do about everything with every powder. Built like a tank too. Factory breechplug really never will wear out.

I love my Remington Genesis ML's but I voted for TC based on their reputation.

NULA would be an unfair comparison since it is custom. White is not made anymore but was and still is in a lot of respects a superior design.

Knights have good barrels, the bolt assembly on the discs is so-so and the way they screw to the stock I do not like at all.

TC's might be the best made gun and I say this because they manufacture in large volume and the QC is very consistent and for the most part all of their guns are well designed.

You know I'm just a muzzleloader nut... I love any and all and I'm not a fan boy of any particular brand name... but with all that said, my two favorites are Knight and TC and more exclusively, the Knight Disc and TC Encore. It's a close race, but If I could have only one the rest of my life it would have to be the Encore.

I had to go with Savage. It's the strongest built and most versatile factory muzzleloader out there. Good out of the box accuracy and the ability to shoot anything from a load light enough for a child to enjoy up to loads that can take any game animal on the planet, (providing your shoulder can take the recoil). Not to mention what has been achieved in recent years with the availability of the 45 & 40 caliber aftermarket barrels.

I guess some of this depends on your opinion of design and some on customer service. On design, I don't care for bolt actions they are a bigger waste of barrel space than the QLA which is twice as long as it should be, and as necessary as you know what. Knight takes a knock on the breach plugs, and I personally don't believe that custom guns should be compared to commiceral guns. Lee

I was a TC guy for many years but the Savage is by far the best production ML I have ever owned by a wide margin. If I could only have one, it would be a Swinglock.

Back