Need powder scale recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooperfan

Reaction score
I am not a reloader and currently don't own a powder scale or dispenser. My NULA should be here this week and was wondering what the members here use to measure out their charges with.

thanks

Coop

A lot or guys are using the new digital scales which should work out for you because that means that they may want to get rid of their old beam scale. Personally I've reloaded for better than 40 years now and would never trust a digital scale. When I 'm loading ammo that can place 30 tons of pressure on a boltface I would never rely on a piece of equipment that uses batteries. Anyway, look for a beam scale that has a heavy metal base like a RCBS and such. Lyman makes a good one ,but they also make a couple of crud models with a plastic base that you'll end up chasing around on your loading bench. Choose something with a stable base. Ebay has some great deals on beam scales if you know what you're looking for. Good Luck!

I second the above post. I have both, digital and beam type scales. The beam style is more sensitive to increases in powder when trickling the last few granules to get to the desired setting. If I had a more expensive digital model like Denver Instruments I might feel otherwise.

The digital scales will probably do just as good of a job from an accuracy standpoint, I just have more faith in the beam type scale.

The one thing I like about a digital scale, I can stand up and go through the process of weighing charges quicker. With the beam, a lot of sitting and standing to get through the process.

I ordered a RCBS 5-0-5. That should last me for many years

Now I need a dispenser. any thoughts there? Lee?

I have only been reloading centerfire ammo for about 3 years, and I use a Lee Powder Measure Kit (ie "dippers"). I have used a beam scale and a digital scale too and weighed every charge, and I can't tell any difference in accuracy or consistency in the precision measured loads and the "dippered" loads.

I am already planning to use them for measuring the charges for my NULA too.
thumbsup2.gif

I have been reloading for 25 years and shooting my 10ML-II for over 5yrs know and I have had and used ballance beam scales made by Hornady, RCBS, Redding, and Lee. Hands down do doubt in my mind what so ever RCBS makes the best ballance beam scales you can buy.

If money is a issue I would recommend the RCBS model# 5-0-5 scale, if not then get the best ballance beam scale there is IMHO the RCBS 10-10.
I own both and they both have served me superbly well. The other scales ended up being "gifted" to my friends who were getting started out in reloading.

I would not under any cercomstances even consider reloading with out having a good ballance beam scale to use to dbl check my powder charge weights. I also own a PACT digital powder scale and despencer and use it to dispence 100% of all my powder used in my CF rifle reloads and for my 10ML-II as well. I dbl check every single powder load, every time with out exception.

Been using this system for over 10yrs now and have had zero problems and are 1000% satisfied with my powder charge weight accuracy.

Get yourself a RCBS 5-0-5 you wont be sorry.

Thx's Art - just took your advice. Been using a RCBS powder master and just bought a 10-10 to double check everything. I love the new 10-10 - thxs for the post.

I use the RCBS chargemaster.

Put the powder in, enter the # of grains and press dispense.

95% of the charges are dead on and the other 5% are within 1 or 2 tenths.

It also has a memory to store favorite loads.

Johnny

Latest posts

Back