Getting the party started BIG titty-kitty

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
More lion-bear contacts since the big fires just south of us. A good friend was calling elk west of Ryan Park while he and his son were sitting on a downed timber using the cow calls. mews and chuckles. Hearing something behind him he turned around and this 92# female was crouched facing them just 25 yds away! He turned and shot as the cat growled. He bought his lion tag back in Jan so all was legal but he said he wasn't thinking in terms of legality when he reacted "NS". Looking at my picture I need to join weightwatchers or the AA, Damn shut down. Warming up the old fur (and do-all} shed. I didn't have big enough stretchers so I had to improvise. 63" Nose to base of tail All tagged up and ready to make the trip to Moyle Mink & Tannery. Will send stretched pics soon..................Mossie

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    663.4 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    622.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
More lion-bear contacts since the big fires just south of us. A good friend was calling elk west of Ryan Park while he and his son were sitting on a downed timber using the cow calls. mews and chuckles. Hearing something behind him he turned around and this 92# female was crouched facing them just 25 yds away! He turned and shot as the cat growled. He bought his lion tag back in Jan so all was legal but he said he wasn't thinking in terms of legality when he reacted "NS". Looking at my picture I need to join weightwatchers or the AA, Damn shut down. Warming up the old fur (and do-all} shed. I didn't have big enough stretchers so I had to improvise. 63" Nose to base of tail All tagged up and ready to make the trip to Moyle Mink & Tannery. Will send stretched pics soon..................Mossie
Nice cat Mossie.
Got one nice snow storm through here last night. Dropped about 1 1/2 feet of snow. Lessened the threat of fires around this neck of the woods. Supposed to snow thru wed. or thur. and that is just fine with me. Boys got the skid steer and atv plow up and going. Temps running between 2 and 11 today.

How is the snow situation there in Encampment? Stay warm buddy.

Last edited:
Colder than my Ex wives hearts !! -9 again this morning. We only got about 14" on the level then the wind came up so knee high drifts between me and my shop. Nice to see big boy (AKA as Boss Buck) made it through deer season again. Hides out down on the river on private I think. With those hooked brows he's easy to I.D. Necks getting all swollen and his nose is to the ground. Never trust a buck in rut !!...... Mossie

Attachments

• PA250156.JPG
    PA250156.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 13
  • PA250158.JPG
    PA250158.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PA250163.JPG
    PA250163.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 13
Colder than my Ex wives hearts !! -9 again this morning. We only got about 14" on the level then the wind came up so knee high drifts between me and my shop. Nice to see big boy (AKA as Boss Buck) made it through deer season again. Hides out down on the river on private I think. With those hooked brows he's easy to I.D. Necks getting all swollen and his nose is to the ground. Never trust a buck in rut !!...... Mossie
Heat wave today: 24 right now. Snow is real light just blows away. That is a beautiful buck. Glad to see he is still around. When we lived in Hayden, Co. we had a buck that would always come around to the front door and look in to the house. Had to run him off when the rut came....they do get aggressive🤣🤣

Last edited:
got to eat big cat while hunting Elk near Orofino, guide was a big cat hunter and had some in the freeze. It was good! The other white meat. I wouldn't mind having it again, but they are kind of rare here in south Alabama and most of Alaska.

got to eat big cat while hunting Elk near Orofino, guide was a big cat hunter and had some in the freeze. It was good! The other white meat. I wouldn't mind having it again, but they are kind of rare here in south Alabama and most of Alaska.
Kind of like that old saying: "tastes like chicken".:dancing chicken::thumbs up:

Neighbor gave me a T shirt " I love cats...just can't eat a whole one by myself" He bought it in Odessa/Midland Texas.................................Mossie

Last edited:

Orofino Idaho?
That's right up the river from me, about a 35 minute drive.

Roger! flew into Lewiston, hunted the "headquarters" area. Always went to the Lo Lo hardware store and bought Speer "seconds" bullets to fly back to Alaska with. I understand they don't do that anymore.

Lewiston is my hometown.
Lolo is still there. A guy by the name of Howell owns it. He has actually also started a full on ammo making business, Freedom Munitions & x-treme bullets are brands from him. It's my understanding that the quality leaves a bit to be desired, or at least that was the word a couple years ago.
CCI/Speer quit offering loaded ammo seconds stuff to anyone and made them "employee sales" only. They have a little employee store now at the main CCI plant and all seconds go through there or get sent to Anoka for the Federal folks. Anoka sends stuff to them too. They will still sell projectiles and cases only as seconds sometimes for others to load ammo with, but it is rare. They only do it if they have a batch of a component that their QC board determines that's the best option to get rid of the product. Now that Howell is a competitor they don't do business with him.
I've done quite a bit of archery elk hunting in the Headquarters area, along Washington Creek, up top of Scofield Divide at Brown's Rock, out along Silver Creek, and around Bertha Hill. These areas aren't too bad during archery but can get mighty busy during general rifle season.
*Edit*
There is a whole building dedicated to Jack O'Conner now out at Hellsgate State Park. I'm not sure how much Lolo may still have, I haven't been in there for quite a few years.

Last edited:
Lewiston is my hometown.
Lolo is still there. A guy by the name of Howell owns it. He has actually also started a full on ammo making business, Freedom Munitions & x-treme bullets are brands from him. It's my understanding that the quality leaves a bit to be desired, or at least that was the word a couple years ago.
CCI/Speer quit offering loaded ammo seconds stuff to anyone and made them "employee sales" only. They have a little employee store now at the main CCI plant and all seconds go through there or get sent to Anoka for the Federal folks. Anoka sends stuff to them too. They will still sell projectiles and cases only as seconds sometimes for others to load ammo with, but it is rare. They only do it if they have a batch of a component that their QC board determines that's the best option to get rid of the product. Now that Howell is a competitor they don't do business with him.
I've done quite a bit of archery elk hunting in the Headquarters area, along Washington Creek, up top of Scofield Divide at Brown's Rock, out along Silver Creek, and around Bertha Hill. These areas aren't too bad during archery but can get mighty busy during general rifle season.
*Edit*
There is a whole building dedicated to Jack O'Conner now out at Hellsgate State Park. I'm not sure how much Lolo may still have, I haven't been in there for quite a few years.
Thanks for catching me up, last hunt there was 2002 or 3

Latest posts

Back