breech plug cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatthehellhunting

Reaction score
i pulled the breech plug out of my 10ml 2 as well as the vent liner and noticed there is alot of carbon build up inside the breech plug what size of drill bit is used to clean the carbon out of the breech plug

I go all the way up to a 5/32 but I remove the carbon in steps. Smaller bits first, then to a 9/64 and then to a 5/32.

I carry a 5/32 drill bit in my cleaning kit and hand twist the bit thru the breechplug to clean out the carbon at every cleaning. I like to clean it "before" there is a big buildup of carbon inside.

Dave

Like the manual and everyone else says, I use drill bits to clean and remove carbon build up. I do use a tap wrench to hold my bits while I clean. A fellow emeber over at Doug's suggested a excellent way to "speed clean" you plug.

He said he took his drill bits and ground off the tips untill they were flat and would not cut or harm his breach plug. He then put them in his battery drill and set on low RPM cleaned out his breach plug. IIRC said from start to finish was but a few minuets.

I usually soak my BP over night in Big Eds befoe I clean it.

My Breach plugs have bushings in place of vent liners.

I am also told there are some killer good carbon disolving solvents out there that will realy cut cleaning time just never tried any.

Back