SST--FTX ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee 9

Reaction score
I just got a box of bullets advertised as SST they came yesterday in a box with FTX all over it and in little print on the end it says SST for muzzle loading under the big FTX.
They have the same soft red tip as the FTX and they are one number on the part number higher and I think they have the harder lead like the FTX. That I am guessing means that I will have to load them a lot hotter than the old SST and SW to get the to work right?
If any one knows much about this bullet I would like to be enlightened.
Do they still make the original SST that was designed for muzzle loading? Lee

SST or Flex tip?

Is it a cougar, a puma, or a mountain lion?

FXT are the new SST or vice versa. If you look at a lot of the typical .45 Cal rifle loadings, they are typically .458 dia. Whereas the most common .45 cal ML projector used with the readily available MMP or harvester sabot is .452 dia (pistol projectile). So in a sense, they could be inferred as ML specific. The manufacture process is all the same.

SOOO

If you loaded the new hornady in a 45 auto, it would be a FXT (unlikely, but bear with me).

If you drop the same projectile into a sabot, and slide it down the barrel of a ML, its an SST.

Semantics, and salesmanship. That's it, that's all.

Hakx

The lead in the new ones is noticeably harder going to have to load heavy for 2200 or 2300 FPS to get them to open up right.

I think it is more than semantics. It seems to be a slightly different animal.

I read in a hunting magazine some time in the last year that the .45 cal Hornady FTX is for the 450 Bushmaster cartridge. That originally, the 450 Bushmaster used the made for muzzleloader .45 cal 250 gr SST. By the looks of it;

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=543

they expect velocity from the muzzle from the 450 Bushmaster cartridge to be around 2200fps. That sounds a bit higher than what the original SST was built for. I would have to look up an old Hornady catalog to find what the figure was at that time. There have been posts in the past that some have claimed it does not open up as well as the original 250 gr SST/SW when used from a muzzleloader.

It seems to me that the recipe may have been changed a little to accommodate the 450 Bushmaster and may work real well in the hotter loads from smokeless muzzleloaders.

Reese
I cut some of them in half and checked them the lead in all the FTX with the red plastic tip is harder the old hard yellow plastic tip SW and SST had pure lead in them I cut some of them to. If you are going to use the new SST it takes at least 130 gr BH209 to get them to mushroom right in wet newspaper. Lee

SST/FTX

:?: There may be a difference between the two, however it is almost impossible to recognize. I have not dissected either one, but I shot both the 200 Gr. FTX and the 250 Gr FTX along side of the 250 Gr SST, and all three printed about the same, with the 200 Gr FTX all touching. I used BH 209 at 110 Gr with MMP short black sabots. I only shot at 50 yrd. The gun used was a knight KRB7. I could not find a SST in 200 Gr, don't know if they even make them. Weather this bullet will perform on deer or not, remains to be seen. The way it prints tells me that I should be able to put this bullet in boiler room without any oroblem. I plan on seeing the results on the first of Oct, special doe season here in De. I will let you all know providing I see something to shoot at :D

GRANDBOW
I did dissect them every thing is the same as the old SW & SST except the lead is harder. If you want to hunt for it I remember a documentation by Grouse of shooting 4 deer and the FTX not opening much and having to track the deer quite a ways. That's one of the reasons I started checking them out they are a very accurate bullet but for hunting it takes about 130 gr of BH209 to make them open effectively, at least in wet news paper I have not shot any live animals with them yet. When I tried them in wet newspaper with 100 gr they penciled through, did not expand much at all.

Back