ORDERED THE 45 Pac-Nor /Savage ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhawker

Reaction score
You guys talked me into it. Ordered the 45 barrel for the savage. Told the wife the economy needs my help! :lol: Looks like maybe the first or second week of Oct...for delivery.

TWISTS AVAILABLE FOR THE 45 PAC-NOR

I was talking to Penny at pac-nor today about the twists available for the
.45 (.458) barrel for the savage. 22" is the slowest they offer. I dont know if some of the guys are shooting sabot-less or what, but I want a slower twist. I planned on shooting around a 200gr./.400" with a sabot, most likely. She told me I could pay for the cost of the new button and go with a 25" or 26". I would really like a 28" but they dont have a bar for that one, I was told.

Supposedly, down the road, if others choose the twist I pay for..they will refund some of the cost of the new button back to me. I read some threads on the Dougs board and seems like several of the guys are blowing sabots especially in warm weather. Seems to me the 22" twist might be a factor there. That is a lot faster twist than what is needed for the little bullet being shot, right? Any thoughts? Anybody else want a pac-nor for their savage?

The 22 twist works great for accuracy with saboted .40 cal bullets. This guy posts groups like this with regularity, and I think he waits maybe 5 minutes at the most before he reloads.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... hread=1965

Each barrel is going to behave differently when it comes to handling heat, annoying but true apparently. DD also had a 14 twist Shilen that shot great with saboted 40 cal 200gr bullets.

DW said:
The 22 twist works great for accuracy with saboted .40 cal bullets. This guy posts groups like this with regularity, and I think he waits maybe 5 minutes at the most before he reloads.

Each barrel is going to behave differently when it comes to handling heat, annoying but true apparently. DD also had a 14 twist Shilen that shot great with saboted 40 cal 200gr bullets.

DW,
I have seen where there has been some fine shooting done with the 22" twist..or as you say..even faster (14"). My point is that it not because of the
twist but maybe in spite of it. My thinking is the accuracy would be just as good with a 26-28" twist without some of the possible problems. Get my point?

The 22" twist will probably stabilize an 1.5" long 500 gr. projectile.

I have been a reloader for 25 yrs. Concerning twists..one might think that a fast twist compared to a slow one for a given caliber is best..you could cover ALL the various weights...but there is no such thing as a free lunch. Take the .224" bullet. If you spin some of the thin jacketed bullets too quick at too high a speed in fps..the jacket disintegrates.

squirrelhawker said:
DW said:

DW,
I have seen where there has been some fine shooting done with the 22" twist..or as you say..even faster (14"). My point is that it not because of the
twist but maybe in spite of it. My thinking is the accuracy would be just as good with a 26-28" twist without some of the possible problems. Get my point?
I see what you are saying.
Its your dollar.

DW said:
squirrelhawker said:
DW said:

DW,
I see what you are saying.
Its your dollar.

That cuts right to the bottom line..ha ha :lol: Pac-nor gave me contact info for DD...I might call him and pic his brain a little.

Dave is a great guy, the call may save you some money. :D

squirrelhawker said:
DW said:

THAT would be a GOOD thing! :lol: Thanks for your input.

DW, (et al)

Talked to DD today. It would be hard to find a nicer guy. He assured me that the twist shouldnt be an issue as far as blowing sabots. He noticed no difference in that happening more to the 14" twist barrel compared to the 22". Thats all I needed to hear. Please dont say "I told you so".... :lol:

squirrelhawker said:
squirrelhawker said:
DW said:

THAT would be a GOOD thing! :lol: Thanks for your input.

DW, (et al)

Talked to DD today. It would be hard to find a nicer guy. He assured me that the twist shouldnt be an issue as far as blowing sabots. He noticed no difference in that happening more to the 14" twist barrel compared to the 22". Thats all I needed to hear. Please dont say "I told you so".... :lol:
Glad you took the time to talk to Dave, extremely nice and knowledgeable, hope everything works out!

squirrelhawker said:
You guys talked me into it. Ordered the 45 barrel for the savage. Told the wife the economy needs my help! :lol: Looks like maybe the first or second week of Oct...for delivery.

I seem to remember(correct me if I am wrong, I am an old guy) the guys on the green board using the .458 Parker Ballistic Extreme's sabotless w/friction fit(Doc White and others).
No temperature wait times and this barrel shoots them very well.

CORVAIR said:
squirrelhawker said:

I seem to remember(correct me if I am wrong, I am an old guy) the guys on the green board using the .458 Parker Ballistic Extreme's sabotless w/friction fit(Doc White and others).
No temperature wait times and this barrel shoots them very well.

I believe the Parkers are .450, and they seem to fit most .45 parker bores to a tee.( little or no sizing required)

Squirrel.........I just shot my .45 Pac-Nor 22" twist to 2971 fps today with no blown sabots. Three to four minute wait between shots (using a cool rod to keep the heat down). Five shot 3" group at 300 yards. Duplex load.
Rich De

Rich De said:
Squirrel.........I just shot my .45 Pac-Nor 22" twist to 2971 fps today with no blown sabots. Three to four minute wait between shots (using a cool rod to keep the heat down). Five shot 3" group at 300 yards. Duplex load.
Rich De

Wow...impressive!! What bullet/sabot/powder/s ? ..if you dont mind sharing.

BTW.. didnt you hold a 1000 yd. record of some type? :wink:

Latest posts

Back