Lubing the Speed Breech XT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman

Reaction score
Got my Endevour in yesterday and cleaned the bore and breech. I did not buy any anti-seize so I used some bullet lube that came with my Lyman lubrisizer that I use to lube and size my lead bullets for my Sharps. I have not used that lube on any bullets as it is pretty stiff. It is moly based and holds up well to temp. I put some on both sides of the breech plug and worked the plug in and out a few times to distribute the lube. Do you think that using this will cause any problems. I guess time will tell.

You should be fine with that lube. 8) Find some Slick 50-1 grease at your local Walmart or auto parts store. 1 tube will last you a lifetime.

fireman

That lube should certainly work and the slick 50 that 'Chief' suggested will work as well. The 'Speed Breech' with the 3 gas rings located on the nose of the breech really does a great job stopping blow black from fouling the threads, but I really think it is a good thought to have some lubrication.

For the last several years I have never used a grease on any of my plugs, I hate the messyness(a new word i just invented) of cleaning grease. What now seems like light years ago, one of our members - 'underclocked' invented teflon tape for wrapping breech plugs. It is so much easier to clean from plugs and threads. So anyway I just use the white T tape to wrap the plug.

There is an art to wrapping but once you figure it out it is really easy... Here is a pic of my plug just wrapped and ready to go in... I only use one wrap of tape applied snuggly and then compressed a bit with my fingers into the threads. It inserts into the breech just like normal.. You can see I have over-wrapped the nose also. When you pop a couple of primers before shooting that will clear the nose. The first shot will push sme of the teflon back to the gas rings and provide an additional blow-back seal.

SpeedBreechWrapped.jpg

Another little tought - when you clean your speed breech make sure the gas rings are not aligned when you re-install it. I am hoping this picture shows that they are staggered.

SpeedBreechGasRing.jpg

As always this works for me but your results might be different....

I"ve been using slip 2000 for awhile now with excellant results. karl

fireman,

I don't use anything on the Speed Breech XT. There's really no need when you aren't getting any blowback to foul the threads. I fired my Endeavor 30 times last Saturday and didn't have any issues what so ever removing the breech plug when I was done. No sense in applying messy grease if you don't have to.

I oil mine lightly with synthetic oil work just fine. Lee

has anyone used the tape on a non. speed breach breech plug? Like maybe a CVA breech plug?

SWThomas said:
fireman,

I don't use anything on the Speed Breech XT. There's really no need when you aren't getting any blowback to foul the threads. I fired my Endeavor 30 times last Saturday and didn't have any issues what so ever removing the breech plug when I was done. No sense in applying messy grease if you don't have to.
I did get out and shoot 20 shots today. I agree, there is no reason to apply anything to the speed breach XT. I pulled the plug and there was no fouling at all on the threads. I cleaned the barrel and the plug tip and was good to go.

Andy

That is all I have used for years on inlines... one of the keys is to match the color of tape you need (color detirmines thickness of the tape) to the room you have in the breech....

BreechPlug.jpg

This is my theory for using tape....

BreechPlugSealing.jpg

The teflon tape really works on those style breech plugs. I used it on my Genesis and it worked great. But it's not needed at all on the SB XT. You'd just be wasting tape.

Latest posts

Back