Traditions sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
Anyone tried the sabots marketed by Traditions? I see they are really cheap, but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

If you want cheap, why not buy loose sabots and some cast Oregon Trail bullets? Or even Berry's or Rainier plated. Plated hollow points are even ok for some hunting.

Harvester also offers pretty cheap cast/sabot combos for about $10 per 20. Including some 400gr heavy weights if you like pain. :D

My LGS sell sabots for under $6 per 50 (Harvester and Hornady) and bulk bullets starting at about 10 cents each.

Chick

I can not help you with Traditions sabots I have not seen any of them in years.... You can look at the bottom of the sabot... if it has a smooth cup it is probably Harvester if it has a stair stepped base it is probably a MMP HPH-24. At that price I would bet they are Harvesters. You can get them (harvesters) from Mid-South shooters supply for just a bit more than that..

What size bullet are you shooting in it? 44 cal or 45 cal?

I know you want to stay with the 250 SST - but that is kinda expensive to shoot at paper. For target practice you could sub in some Honrady .452/250 gr. XTP's and be very close to your SST's - You would still have to shoot the SST's at a 100 to verify in the end, but you could shoot almost four XTP's for the cost of one SST.

The best sabot on the market are made by Harvester and MMP they also make most of the others under contract. If you go the Midsouth web page to muzzleloading the to sabots only look for the long and short black Harvester sabot that sell for 4.75 they are among the best on the market.
If they fit you gun right you won't have to go any farther. If they are to tight or to loose let us know or refer to the sticky at the top of the page . there is always someone who will help you here if you ask the right question and provide the needed information.

The Low Drag sabots, that come with the SST are made by MMP. They are the 3P EZ sabot, and they have the conical bottom, the older boxes of the SST bullets, have a longer sabot with the stair stepped base, you speak of. These sabots cause problems, in that the petal will get caught between the bullet seater jag, and the rifling. When this happens, action stops, literally.

Back