Accuracy issues in my hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeRebel

Reaction score
After spending a fare amount of time at the range shooting Hornaday GP 385's and patched balls I was unable to shrink my groups under about 8" at 100 yards. I was using Pyrodex RS and I started with 80grns and went up to 100grns. It seemed to shoot 90 grns the best but still not very good groups with either the GP or round ball. Any ideas?
Thanks for any advice you may offer.

I have not shot at 50 yards. I will have to try it and find out.
What kind of groups should I expect?
I bought the rifle used so I don't know how it was taken care of, it looks like the barrel is in good shape but I don't know.
I'm just wondering if the barrel is no good or if its my loads or what?

What is the twist? A 1:48 or faster is really better for conicals, I think. 1:66 - 1:70 for PRB.

I think it's a 1:48 but I don't know but it doesn't shoot prb's any better.
How can I find out what twist it has?
Also I was looking at the Hornady FPB's has anybody tried them in a hawken yet?

Another thing is the sights. If you have them fat blades, its hard to shoot out to 100 yards because the blade almost hides the bull. Try at 50 yards with the roundball. Maybe swab between shots to keep the rifle honest. And see what it can do.

It is a T/C rifle. I shot at 50 this weekend and got about 1 1/2 inch group from the GP 385's but still a horible group with prb's about 7 inch group. I was shooting Hornady round balls with T/C pre lubed patches with the same 80 through 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. It shot the GP's well though so maybe I need to change sights.

RR, It could be that your barrel may require a tighter patch/ball combination. If so, try .018" patches. You can buy a yard of .018" pillow ticking at your favorite fabric store, but be sure to bring a micrometer to measure it. Wash it in hot water and run it through the dryer several times before cutting it into patches. Btw, if you use pinking shears for this, it won't unravel and get all stringy.

That does seem wrong for 50 yards with patched ball. In my T/C I shoot a .490 ball and a .018 pillow tick cotton patch with moose milk. At 50 yrds I normally shoot around a two inch group. And of course an occasional flier. I shoot cast ball.

Couple things to try: Put a felt was (TC bore button) under your bullet. Next time at the range, use a 6 o'clock hold and zero the rifle to print the group where you are holding. This results in a dead on zero, while allowing you to see where you are holding. Groups of 1 1/2" isn't bad at 50 yds. My rifles will shoot 1 1/2" and under. Often under an inch. I have my Tc hawken 50 cal sighted in 1 1/2" high at 50 yd this will allow me to hold dead on as far as I feel comfortable shooting deer with this rifle.

My 1-48" twist TC Grey Hawk isn't a great PRB gun either. I've tried .490" and .495" RBs with pillow ticking and denim from .010"-.018". It DOES like 240gr Hornady XTPs in sabots and 370gr maxiballs over 80-100gr Swiss ffg BP. The sabots shoot about 3" at 100 yards.

I had a TC Renigade that liked 250gr. sabots.
TC sidelocks have a 1:48 twist so I would think that the hornady plastic patch would work better than a cloth patch. It should engage more rifling being longer like a bullet as would be needed for a faster twist barrel. This is just my thoughts on it I have not shot round balls since trying sabots in the early 80's.
These are not the polly patch which does not grip the ball well and can be dangerous. These hornady's completely grip the ball and it is a hardball load as well. This conical should work well in a 1:48 as well I would think, not overly long hornady 50 Cal 240 gr PA Conical. I believe the longer heavier conicals 300-500gr would like a faster twist rate than a 1:48.

1. No gun, muzzeloading or cartridge, will shoot well if bullet length/weight is not matched to the rate of twist.
2. Second in importance is proper powder charge for that twist and bullet weight you can spin a bullet to fast or to slow with the wrong powder charge.
3. Thirdly, proper ignition sorce for that type of powder, you do not want it push the load forward before igniting or hang up on you either. Should be instant.
4. Consistancy, shooting with a clean or with a dirty barrel every time the same.

Just my thoughts on it. Best of luck to you.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-c-670/

RidgeRebel said:
It is a T/C rifle. I shot at 50 this weekend and got about 1 1/2 inch group from the GP 385's but still a horible group with prb's about 7 inch group. I was shooting Hornady round balls with T/C pre lubed patches with the same 80 through 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. It shot the GP's well though so maybe I need to change sights.

The T/C 1/48 twist barrel should get some good groups with either RB or Conical. Drop your load down to about 60 grains and work up with the RB's. Also check your fired patches to see if they are intact. If you are burning the patches, that means hot gasses are blowing past the patch and RB. This can raise He--. with accuracy. You may need to use a thicker patch, or like others have said, put a cushion wad on top of the powder.If you don't have a wad, make one from paper towels or even green leaves. I use wasp nest as overpowder wads, and they work well. The patch thickness and powder charge can make a huge difference in accuracy. I would do this before changing my sights.

Latest posts

Back