Heavy Powerbelts or other conicals in Omegas.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
For whatever reason my troublesome Omega likes heavy bullets. It likes the 348gr copper series hollow point PB's. I'd like to try the 444 flat point PB's. Anyone ever shot these out of an Omega? I know the Omegas generally don't like conicals. Are there any conicals that Omegas will shoot with reasonable accuracy other than PB's?

my omega shot the 405s excellent. I never tried the 444s in it but plan to try them in my accura.

May also want to check out the hornady FPB.

I should of added that I'm shooting Pyrodex RS and Goex BP. My Omega does not like Pyrodex pellets. Seems to like charges around 90-110 grains. I was shooting the 348gr PB's with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS.

Jim, my Omega and Triumph will both shoot PB's quite well but they like the same 110gr load yours does and unless you plug the hollow point with a screw they will fragment like a varmint bullet and make a big shallow hole, with a carefully placed shot they will still kill. as for other bullets the Sabretooth has given me very good accuracy and holds to gather for better penetration at about 2/3 of the price. The FPB Hornady conical also normally shoots very well and is an excellent bullet for terminal results.
If your state allows the most accurate flattest shooting bullets are sabot loads the very good but expensive Nosler partition, Barnes all copper, both give excellat terminal results. The new Leigh are supposed to be very good but I personally have not yet tried them.
The best shooting for accuracy in my guns are the SST the Shock Wave and the FTX Hornady. The most terminally effective for a reasonable price that I have found so far is the Gold Dot 250gr for deer and hogs and the 300gr for elk and bear.
I have not had a chance to do any hunting with the FTX yet as my wife took a misstep and had to have a total knee replacement as soon as my time is free again I intend to go hog hunting locally and try the FTX out on a pig. If I have a chance to sight it in I will use my new Endeavor and make a report on both. Lee

Endeavor

Lee, Imust a been s;leeping and didn't see ya got an Endeavoe. Good on ya! I know your a TC guy and have given me some good advice on shooting my Pro Hunter. Waiting to se your Endeavor info now!

Well I ordered two packs of the 444gr flatnose PB's. The flatnose should take care of the problems with the hollow points. And 444grs is a lot of lead! The largest game I hunt is whitetails so I think I'll be ok. Should be quite a kick with 100 or so grains of powder!

Its one of those bullets that if you shoot while you have a stuffed up nose, it clears up as soon as you touch the trigger off :lol:

Where will you be hunting with those bullets? I believe that the 444 PBs will be too long to be legal in Colorado if fired out of a 50 caliber (longer than 1 inch) but am not 100% sure about the length. They definately are short enough out of the 54 caliber.

I just measured the 444 FP .50cal Powerbelt and from the tip of the nipple on the base of the bullet, to the top flat measures .983" long. Without the nipple in the measurement it is .880" Long.

Well within the legal limits.

Back