opinions needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubled

Reaction score
Range session a couple of days ago. Shot two different bullets out of a
T/C .50 Omega. First load Precision Rifle extreme elite 260 grain, second
load Barnes TEZ 290 grain. Both loads were fired using 110gr 777 loose
powder, winchester 777 209 primers, swabbing betweed shots with T/C
#13. Both bullets were fired using the supplied sabots, orange for the
extreme elite and blue for the barnes. Both bullets averaged 1 inch groups at 100 yards, but the extreme elite had the occasional flier. No
fliers with the barnes bullets. On loading I noticed that the extreme elite
loaded very easily, I could have pushed it down the barrel with two fingers
easily. The barnes was a snug fit, not loose, or difficult to load. Talked to
Precision Rifle and they said that the loose fit would not be a factor in
accuracy where the bullet obturates when fired. It was loose enough that
I would be uncomfortable hunting with it. I have got a lot of great info
on this site and would appreciate a few opinions. dd

I will agree that the bullet obdurating will make a difference, so will the fact that there is not enough pressure on the powder for a good burn; and the fact that for some reason lead especially pure lead bullets seem to have a pressure limit after which you get fliers. If you really like the lead bullet try 90 gr or a bit less. Lee

doubled

Just my opinion so do not take it to the bank.... I am not a PR bullet fan - I know they work very well for a lot of people, but the lead is sooooo soft I really worry about velocity contact with a heavy bone...

The barnes is excellent bullet from all reports, but I really have never used one myself. I got hooked on Noslers several thousand years ago and basically they are the only thing I hunt with. But, i am trying to expand my thinking and I am willing to try a new one this fall.

opinion loose fit

SW, looking for some imput on loose fit.
Sabotloader, I too use nosler 260gr saboted bullets in my old thunderhawk, super accuracy and great performance on deer. looking for
a bullet for longer ranges out of my Omega. Thanks

doubled

imput on loose fit.

The loose fit of the PR is as Lee said compensated by the 'obteration' of the bullet to your bore as the gun is fired, same principal as a Power Belt bullet but only on a sabot. Should really help accuracy to have the bullet 'obterate' to the bore. But I still have two concerns, small ones, but enough I look someplace else for a bullet... 1) performance 2) I do also worry a bit about the bullet falling off the powder - especially while hunting.

I shoot the 260 from my Omega also but, most of the time here in Idaho - I am pretty much limited to a max shot of 200 yards - to many trees and to many hills. I do switch to a .458/300 for elk though...

Re: opinion loose fit

doubled said:
SW, looking for some imput on loose fit.
Sabotloader, I too use nosler 260gr saboted bullets in my old thunderhawk, super accuracy and great performance on deer. looking for
a bullet for longer ranges out of my Omega. Thanks

I've tried some bullet sabot combos that were very loose just like what you've described. I could literally push it down to the powder with two fingers on the ramrod. And it still shot just fine. Some people stick to the belief that you MUST have a tight fitting sabot when shooting BH209 but for me that was not the case. All I use is BH209 and it fired off just fine each of the several times I fired this load.

The way I look at it is.... As long as it's not too loose to the point of falling back out of the barrel, you should be fine. If it shoots good, who cares if it's a little loose. But like I said, you don't want it so loose that it will move off the powder charge. Space between the sabot and the powder is a bad thing when you fire it off... :shock:

Back