Ballistic Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf_River_Mike

Reaction score
I was shooting some 300 grn hornady xtp's out of my Savage ml2 the other day using 42 grns of AA. Switched to 250 grn xtp's with the same charge and my group was 4" low At 100 yd. Elevated the scope 8 clicks and the group moved right up on target. My questions is why does the heavier bullet print higher than the lighter bullet with the same charge? I've noticed the same thing in my 38 special. The 125 grn bullets tend to shoot to poi where as the 158 grn bullets will shoot a couple of inches high at 15 yds.

The slower the initial velocity of the load the longer the amount of time the bullet spends in the barrel. The slow bullet hits higher because it is in the barrel longer as the muzzle is raising in recoil.

mparks said:
The slow bullet hits higher because it is in the barrel longer as the muzzle is raising in recoil.

Exactly :!: I always seem to see that in handguns, but only some rifles.

I've seen it in hard kicking slug guns as well as handguns. If I don't hold the for-end about like I would when shooting from field positions the impact will be way high off the bench.

Back