ok got my stuff

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
I got the crush rib 50/45 sabots and the speer 45 colt .452 gold dot HP.
for those who have shot this load, what should i start with for a powder charge.
I was thinking around 90 and move up from there if they held the groups.

that sounds like a real good place to start. Keep us posted how well they shoot.

OptimaAndy

Certainly start @ 90 but I will think you might want move as normally the Gold Dot needs some good steam to be accurate. I am shooting 110 T7-2f...

sabotloader said:
OptimaAndy

Certainly start @ 90 but I will think you might want move as normally the Gold Dot needs some good steam to be accurate. I am shooting 110 T7-2f...

thanks i will load a few tubes of 100 and 110 and give those a try also.

Two of my guns [ Triumph and Omega] also group best with 110gr I use BH209 though I used to use 777. Lee

the gold dot is a great bullet that totally sucks in the crush rib!!!!!
couldn't get any type of accuracy out of that combo no mater the powder charge.
Put it in the same tight fitting sabot that the TC SW uses and it hit in the same spot as my SW do about .5" higher.
Guess the optima elite is going to like a tight fit.
I can't say as i blame it as most of us probably feel the same way!!! :twisted: :twisted:
So, anyone know what sabot comes with the TC SW?

anyone use the 50/.45 and the 50/.44 crush rib sabots. 2 new boxes and 1 half gone.

OptimaAndy

The TC sabot (if it is black and has four petals) is a MMP HPH-24, if that is working for GREAT! I shoot the 24 in most everything I have...

the optima i had liked a tight sabot load. I never swabbed and loading was easier going down a fouled bore than it was on a clean bore :lol:

frontier gander said:
the optima i had liked a tight sabot load. I never swabbed and loading was easier going down a fouled bore than it was on a clean bore :lol:

how was it easier in a fouled bore? I have a hard time seating the sabot if i do not swab between shots using the mmp24 that comes with the TC SW

the fouling with pyrodex in all the rifles ive shot makes loading the next round easier. I used the 300gr xtp .452 in the short black mmp-12 sabot and it was a snug load. the next shot loaded just fine too. I went 26 shots that day without ever touching the bore.

i haven't use pyro a whole lot but i am guessing that it doesn't crude up like 777.

whats the difference between the 12 and the 24?

12 is thicker. i couldnt get the xtp's to group for chit with the 24's. The barnes expanders in 250 actually prefered the 24's and the group was only around 3" I barely find that Barely acceptable for even my open sight rifles.

Latest posts

Back