"Free" reloading press

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
"Free" reloading press

I asked for hints on a reloading message board about reloading 20 ga. shells for my granddaughter's shotgun. I got a private message from a VERY NICE man in Alabama who gave up reloading and he offered to send me his old press for the cost of postage. I offered to pay him its market value but he said he liked kids and wanted to see more of them in reloading and shooting.

Anyway, he sent me the press and some accessories that would fit in the box. I ordered the missing parts and have loaded up 11 boxes of shells for dove season. I loaded a couple of boxes with 3/4 oz. of shot and a low powder charge so it won't kick bad when she shoots it.

Mec%20600%20Jr.%202web_zpsmarfmped.jpg

Re: "Free" reloading press

wow!! That was extremely nice of him. Its hard to find folks like that these days! 11 boxes?!!! That must have taken a while. Let us know how they shoot.

I've already patterned the loads, a 3/4 oz., a 7/8 oz., and a 1 oz. load. They all pattern well at 30 yards.

The 3/4 oz. low-power load won't operate the action of a semi-auto shotgun but does well in her pump gun.

There are still some good people in this country.

SCHUNTER said:
There are still some good people in this country.
Yes there are. This fellow graduated from Auburn and I graduated from Alabama. Before he sent it, I contacted him to give "full disclosure" re. my alma mater. He said that didn't matter and sent it anyway.
If anyone out there has ever lived in Alabama, you know how heated the rivalry is between the 2 schools.:ss:  It's almost life & death to some of them.  In the past football coaches' families have received death threats for losing the rivalry game.

I know the rivalry well and you are lucky he didn't tell you to go jump in a lake.LOL  I have in the past reloaded thousands of 20 gauge for dove hunting. The 1 oz load was always my favorite

I used to shoot a 12 ga. but then I discovered that a 20 ga. will do everything I want except hold a bunch of 00 buckshot for hogs. I even use it for ducks. The 3", <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a> shot steel loads will drop a duck just as good as a 12ga. with a lot less recoil.

I also discovered the 20 ga., 3", <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> buckshot Federal load will stop a hog real good with head shots.

Actually it does not take long to load 11 boxes. It is a very relaxing process. I bought Pam a press for her 20 gauge several years ago. A huge cost savings for us. Plus she enjoys it.

Yes there are still very nice people in the world. I asked about a barrel for my gold cup on another site and a gentleman there replied to send him my address and he sent me a brand new barrel and refused any payment for it, he said he had it in a box and would never use it. Another gentleman sent me 300 swagged lead bullets that are no longer available. I could never thank them enough for their generosity. I have also sent stuff to others for free to help them out. Kind of like pay it forward.

Back