NEF Sidekick

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdeather

Reaction score
I have a buddy who bought one of these a couple of months ago. We were out shooting it along with my Omega. What a surprise, this thing is a tack driver. It shot every bit as good as my Omega. He paid half of what I paid for mine. Although I do have the Laminated TH stock. So I ordered one from Cabelas. It is the stainless with synthetic stock. I have read alot of good reveiws on this gun especially how accurate they are. We were shooting the 250grn XTP's with 100grns of RS along with the Crush ribs. These were the 45 cal. Anybody else heard much about these guns or have any good loads that work good? Any input would be appreciated Thanks.Brandon.

Brandon, fact is since Remington took control, H&R isn't listing muzzleloaders in its new catalog.
This includes both the "muzzleloader only" Sidekick and the Huntsman.

It appears that, for the time being at least, they won't be producing them.

BUT for all things connected to this line of front stuffers, loads, tricks, tips, mods, accessories, you name it, see here:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=134.0

My Sidekick loves 80 grains of 2f 777 with a black MMP sabot and the 250 XTP's. Do yourself a huge favor, and spend the extra money for the 25 ACP breechplug, it's well worth the money, just for the reduction in blowback. I just shot mine on Friday, 3/28. I neglected to swab the bore between shots on one of my final 3 shot group, and got a flyer. The two shots I loaded properly, were VERY close to touching. If someone can tell me how to post pics, I'll be happy to show you the results of some of my range time. Congrats on the new ML, I think you'll enjoy it, I know I do mine. Now, if the deer would only cooperate!

Brandon,

Like Hammerspur said, the Sidekicks have been discontinued for 2008. They were using Green Mountain barrels at one time, so either Big Green (Rem) put a halt, or my guess is Green Mountain is too busy building KP1 Knight barrels to mess with a NEF Contract. NEF Barrels are now made my Marlin, the old Marlin inline (MLS-50???) was made by T/C, so my guess is they were not set up to make the muzzleloader barrels. You can however, for the time being, have a H&R/NEF frame fitted for a Huntsman barrel, probably while supplies last.

I have a Huntsman that will shoot every bit as good as my Knights and Whites. I just bought a Sidekick that has not been shot yet. My Huntsman had the best trigger of any rifle I owned, until I boutght the Sidekick. The Sidekick trigger is almost scary, it is so good.

I would also agree with MOdeer on the .25 ACP plug, it just don't get much cleaner than that. 85 grains of FFG 777 under a 300 gr SST, or 200 gr Shockwave over 100 grains BM'3 will do the trick on Whitetails.

Just a little secret, the NEF's will shoot 430-460 grain pure lead .503" conicals into little bitty groups. You can shoot these all day long without swabbing. 80 grains of FFFg 777 with a fiber gasket wad under the above will put an elk down rather quick, and whitetail out to 170 yards. :wink:

There are some downers to the design, but all of mine have been modified to give me what I want. The .25 ACP plug negates the breech plug tool, original breech plug and primer carriers. I had a guy in MB make me two custom jag tips for the ramrod, that actually allow you to patch the barrel without losing the patch and push in pointed bullets. These also thread into the rod to lock it together, very nice. I only use the supplied ramrod for reloading in the field, I use a Knight T-Handle range rod for all range work and cleaning.

The standard issue jag is not good for pointed bullets, spit patching, or for much of anything for that matter.

The better jag. It's too bad NEF didnt make them like this. The ramrod can go in either way, I put it in with the jag out for the pic.

006-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

Thanks for all the replys. Busta when you get around to shooting your sidekick be sure and post your results. Thanks again. Brandon.

My sidekick was under 2.5" 3 shot groups all day long with a load of 85gr Pyro P under a 250 gr .45 cal xtp at 125 yards (length of our range). Shot about the same with the t/c cheapshots. Actually it liked anything I put in it with 85-100 gr of powder, and I never tried more or less. It has the best trigger I have ever had on a firearm. Of course, with my addiction of buying and selling guns, it is now owned by one of my coworkers. :oops:

Latest posts

Back