Any experience with the Hornady new SST Sabots (Low Drag)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamblerken

Reaction score
The bullets are the same as the old version SST but the sabot is shorter and still has three paddles. It is just a little shorter than the Harverster sabot and it comes in Red.
Wondering if the performance will be the same as the old version of the SST?

My first 250 grain SSt/Shockwave bullets came with and hard plastic tips and red four petal sabots. The last ones i bought came with black four petal sabots and soft plastic tips. They shoot to the same point of impact in my Encore. I also have the three petal Hornady low drag sabots.

I shoot Goex Pinnacle in my guns. Pinnacle likes a tight fitting sabot. My Encore is capable of 1" groups with 250 grain SST in the tight fitting red and the black sabots. The low drag sabots make 2-3" groups. The gun does not like the crush rib sabots at all, they made 6-8" groups with my gun.

I couldn't get anything better than a 4" group at 100yds with the 250gr. I can get 1" groups with 200gr SW.

Gamblerken,

What's the real question? Terminal performance, ease of loading or accuracy?

In my Wolf (with a tight barrel), they loaded one-hand snug and shot well (small groups out to 150 yards. Killed only one deer with it at 60 yards. It was a double lung pass-through shot. DRT. Exit hole same as entrance. Used 120gr T7. Go figure.

Back