How To Double Check A Powder Measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50_Scout

Reaction score
My brother and I just took up the sport with a couple of used guns. We got together and shot this last weekend. During this we used his measure mostly. I picked mine up and loaded one and got alot harder kick than the other shots. I poured out a load in his measure and then poured it in mine and his showed 10 grains less. So, we don't know for sure which one of ours is correct. How do we find out? I reload and have a powder scale, but I didn't know if powder could be weighed that way. I am using Pyrodex and my brother is using 777. Thanks.

But I say that 100 grains by volume of FFg T7 should weigh 80 grains. :)

There needs to be a standard volumetric measure for a 100 grain charge, an actual fixed volume.

Then there would be basis for saying one measure is more accurate than another. As it is, the best you can hope for is a linear measure... 50 grains by volume thrown from your measure is 1/2 of 100 grains by volume from your measure. Even that is too much to ask, apparently.

100gr Pyrodex RS on my scale and with my powder measure weighs 68.4 ( if you arte picky you can use the .4 ) :lol:

minst7877

I have always used a measure of 77.7 grains by weight of T7 equals 100 grains by volume. That is actually how T7 got its name.

An easy way is to handle this is... find a load for the rifle using ONE measure. And then use that measure only for that rifle. If you want to double check it..

with a scale, pour out five loads with that set measure. Then take the average of those load. Now with the other measure you are concerned with, do the same thing and see the difference. With the measure that works best for you, load from one to the other and see the difference between the two measures.

I use a set measure for each rifle. Inlines I use a clear see through. Traditional rifles I have a brass one with a cut funnel. And my Wolverine I have a broken measure that I taped into a locked position and it is used only for that rifle...

The weight will also depend on what granular size the powder is. A 100 gr by volume of 3f will weigh more than a 100 gr by volume of 2f. Personally, I prefer Cayuga's response. Use your powder measure and find the average weight of your loads. Toby lists weights for many powders on his website, and you can probably use them safely. I would not hesitate to use that data. I would compare it against my findings, but as long as its close, you will be fine. Just the fact that you can use 2f or 3f will vary the weight by 8-10 gr so if you are off by a few you are still in the window. If I want to know what the actual weight of a given charge is I would contact the manufacturer.

This is not rocket science. Apply a dose of common sence and move forward.

Haven't shot enough to find it's favorite load yet. Just wanted to know a way to double check things in case I pushed the 110 grain limit for my gun. More of a safety concern than anything.

Another one listed here. Neither one is the "correct" version as there is no standard between measures. But either one is close enough.

Latest posts

Back