Man... Im in a slump

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
Anyone done any good this season? Ive been turkey hunting for about 7 years. The first three years I had the time of my life and got my limit each year. The last three years have been TOUGH. Ive not killed a bird. Something always seems to go wrong. Usually hens that Im competing with cut the tom off. Ive hunted hard this year to try and break the slump, but no luck so far. Some of my non-hunting friends think we just go out and shoot a bird, boy are they wrong.

Chased um pretty hard for 3 days with no luck. Was within 60 yards of 2 birds but couldn't get them any closer. Had one at about 40 yards gobbling good for about 10 minutes but had a ridge top between us and he lost interest so I went looking for him. I thought he was going straight away so I tried sneaking up the ridge. He had gone to the right about 25 yards. Heard him putt as he took off running. Oh well I have another tag that comes in the 6th.
Good luck.
Don

I'm in the same boat with ya brother! Hunted hard the past 2 years for them and they havent cooperated once. This year I have heard more gobbling in the early a.m. but they shut up and dip off with hens. One consolation is that my father and I have been killing the morels! As far as the hunting I think depending on your area and the hen to tom/jake ration is probably pretty high. I know that is why Ohio has allowed hens to be taken in the fall and has made season all day long now from May 3-16. I have a feeling that things will turn around this year in your case... hopefully mine too... the birds do seem to be more active in the mornings than in the past 2 years. So good luck to ya and I wish the best to you on your hunts!

i managed to scratch out a bird the first friday of our season, 20.9 lbs. 9.5 " beard & 5/8th. spurs. but it has been down hill since,this saturday is the last day of the season so i need to get at least 1 more before it's over however they have quit gobblin, havent heard one in 2 weeks

100_3622-1.jpg

Back