New White Rifles 209 Conversion Kit ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about them? Thinking of getting one for my Super 91.

Copy of email I recd this week from White Rifles:

September 1, 2005 - Lindon, Utah White Rifles has introduced a 209 shotgun primer conversion kit for it?s W-Series Super 91 and Elite Hunter rifles. The kit is designed to handle most commercially available 209 shotgun primers and includes White?s MagnaFire? Nipple/Breechplug and redesigned hammer. The kit retails for $59.95 and is currently available directly from White Rifles and through White Rifles Authorized Dealers.

The kit is designed to easily convert White?s Super 91, Elite Hunter, Model 98, and W-Series rifles to a 209 shotgun primer ignition system. The kit will work best with black powder pellets and saboted bullets. Gary ?Doc? White states, ?The continued popularity of pelletized black powder and substitutes has created a strong demand for black powder rifles that incorporate the 209 ignition systems. White Rifles owners will be pleasantly surprised at the performance of the W-Series conversion kit in combination with black powder substitute pellets."

The introduction of the W-Series Conversion Kit, along with its previously released G-Series 209 Conversion Kit, now allows all White Rifles to use the 209 system. Mr. Steven Brown, White Rifles president stated, ?The introduction of the newly added W-Series 209 Conversion Kit will let White Rifle owners to choose which ignition system that best fits their hunting needs.?

I have shot alot of both the #11's & 209's out of different muzzleloaders. The 209's are easier to consistently load, dont obliterate when fired and are easier to find for purchase. Also, I never had on dud with all the 209's I fired but cant say the same for the #11's. Likely due to a flat plunger surface hitting a #11 vs firing pin hitting a 209 coupled with inconsistent powder contained in some #11's even the RWS. The firing pin w/209's is more reliable in my opinion.

Other than that, I guess a new toy to tinker with is likely the main reason. :lol:

I'll buy the last line. :wink: My guess is the flash and blowback from those things is gonna hurt, but that's only a guess.

Underclocked said:
I'll buy the last line. :wink: My guess is the flash and blowback from those things is gonna hurt, but that's only a guess.

You know me too good! :lol:

Hopefully, someone will chim in that tried them. I may have give White a call or the Doc. :)

There isn't really an answer here is it? :D

I REALLY get tired of filling up a #11 capper! 209s are MUCH easier to handle! Also...misfires are almost a thing of the past when using 209s. 209s on the other hand are MUCH harder on the scope/mounts and your face!

I guess I'll stick with #11 with Whites for now!

Here's a pic of redesigned hammer 209 breech plug. Looks like well made components.

W-Series_Large.jpg

Loggy- Dont you like your scope or eyebrows? :lol:

That plug looks alot like my A/H 209 plug... It was a terrible scope burner!! I would and will stick with #11's

I tried to uncap a #11 last year... HA! it was almost impossible to get off! Ed had to uncap my 91 for me! He struggled with it too but I think mostly because it was a .504 and not the squirrel caliber he was used to! The big game .504 is just more to handle!! :goodman:

Yea JJ, Ed gave me a pointer of how to uncap those uncooperstive No. 11's! :lol:

I get a fair amount of blow back with the #11 & current breech plug in my Super 91. In fact, i aint got any eyebrows anymore. :lol:

:x :lol: Yea sometimes those unfired #11 caps can be a real pain, but it nice to know you have a tight fit for those rainy days. Thats why I either carry a long nose pliers with me or the ML Cap Popper for #11 cap that Mark (Hunter280man) sold. One side has a capper, the other a remover. JJ that's what I had to use on yours on the Hog hunt. I think Mark still has some, I forget what they went for, but I'm pretty sure they were under $20. If he doesn't have anymore, you can get them from Walnut Grove Hunting Products in Sullivan, OH. 44880 877-338-8171. But give Mark a call first.

Ed

Squirrel Killer Hmmm. Sure did drop my hog in a hurry! :wink: :lol:

Ed,

Is the ML Cap Popper for #11's easier than needlenose pliers? Not sure if I ever seen one of those "cap poppers".

Loggy, it worked just as well. What is nice about it is, its smaller, lighter and the remover is shaped like a U, so it gets underneath the cap. But the long nose pliers work just as well and you don't have to buy anything.

Ed

Thanks Ed & Jeff. I take it you are both RWS Men for life? Whatsha think bout that White 209 conversion kit?

I likely have nuff RWS's in stock to carry me into a second lifetime! I started with the CCI's & they were a piece of sh!t.

Loggy, to me personally, I'm not interested. The #11 RWS caps does all I need and then some. I tried some Musket caps just yesterday and they worked just as well and would definetly ignitie Pellets. I didn't care for them for the amount of residue, plus being made of thicker materials they don't fragment like #11 caps. Which means you got to flick your finger in there to remove them or shake it a little to remove them. The only good thing about musket caps especially those with the flange that make them look like top hats, is you can put them on with your fingers.

What I'm interested in seeing is the 336 primer system that Doc is suppose to be coming out with. Not that I need it for the ignigition, but if it eliminates blow back and soot and makes clean up even easier, I'm for it. Plus it would be nice not to have to worry about scope protectors and possibly Teflon Protectors. :wink:

Ed

Rich, I'm sorry to hear that. I would have thought just the opposite, but proof is in the pudding. I'll have to ask Ben when he comes back on-line. I was hoping to hear it eliminated all that stuff, but I guess not.

Ed

Appreciate all your input which in this case may save me a few $$$$!!!! Ususally advice seems to cost me money! :lol: :lol:

Back