Flex-tip SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santoslhalper

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the .40 cal 200 grain SST's recently? On Hornady's website they are listed as being the new "flex-tip" as opposed to the hard plastic tip like they used to be. I know the 250 grainers are the "flex-tip" now, I just hadn't heard anything about the 200's. Does anyone know if they've changed the composition of the bullet as well, or just added a new tip?

I'm just curious because I need to buy a new stockpile of SST's and I'm always a little leery about things new and untested. Not that the old SST was without it's flaws, but it did get the job done for me. I found that the old SST was a little on the soft side - tended to overexpand & fragment at high velocities, so I wonder if this new version has changed that at all......
The old ones do shoot very well for me.......

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo209/oldsmellhound/SST3shot.jpg

I have not tried them. I have shot the hard tip and they shoot excellent out of most rifles. Anyone that tries the flex tip in that 200 grain a report would be appreciated.

I havent tried any that i know are a "new" version but the 40-200gr i have shot are very accurate even out to 200 yards in my 45s. The only chance i had to harvest a deer with one was complicated by too much magnification and i couldn't get on target quickly enough.

I wish Hornady would sell the 40 SSTs/FTXs in bulk but at least Hawks bullets does sell bulk .400 Spitzers but with a lead tip. Their 40-225gr JHP is devastating.

I have not tried the .40 sst. However I did shoot the .45 FTX/SST in all my Ml long guns and in my .460 S&W . Those guns were, Encore Endeaver, knight KRB7, Rem 700, and 12-1/2 pistol barrel on the Encore frame. I used T7 2f ,T7 pellets, T7 Mag pellets, and 209. All produced above average groups at 50 and 100 yards. Bagged one deer at 80 yards, complete pass through both lungs. Not a very big wound channel but it only ran 40 yards. I hope to try the .40 soon in my Rem 700.

The FTX 45x line has several variations.

The 225gr is sold by the 100 pack and intended for 45 Colt FPS. I really like these for target shooting since they are MUCH cheaper than the others.

The 200gr is sold in 50 packs and intended for 460 S&W FPS. A huge difference compared to a 45LC performance.

The 250 comes in 2 variants. One for MLs and one for 450 Bushmaster type performance. Basically i think those are the same minus a cannelure.

The ONLY FTX i still have some faith in as a good hunting bullet is the .458 325gr FTX made for 45/70 and 450 Marlin. Moving them within their design envelope can make them perform within reasonable limits.

I have switched over to mostly GoldDots now mainly because after much debate and testing, they do hold up better. Plus they are usually cheaper and plenty accurate. Expansion is more consistent too, each one appears to perform just like the one before it. Using FTXs, some performed perfect and the next may not.

IMO i really like them for target shooting but when i hunt they are a few notches down on my current list.

james 14 said:
GM, what is the bullet in your avatar?

Barnes/Knight 285gr SpitFire Boat tail. It can be a awesome but sometimes they fail to expand correctly too. I have a pic that compares 2 shot into the same media at the same distance.

The only difference was 20gr of powder. The lighter load failed to expand. The 110gr load performed just like the avatar picture.

IMO the Barnes Expander MZ (big hollow point) lineup is far more consistent and performs better over a wider fps range. The tipped version of the MZ (TMZ) seems ok but i have no first hand testing to back it up.

i have tested the The Spit-Fire TMZ? boattail design and for some reason my ENCORE shoots the FLAT base bullets with more accuracy ..so i am back with the BARNES EXPANDER MZ flat base.....

black powder said:
i have tested the The Spit-Fire TMZ? boattail design and for some reason my ENCORE shoots the FLAT base bullets with more accuracy ..so i am back with the BARNES EXPANDER MZ flat base.....

Most people get the same results with boat tails and MLs(flat bases seem to be more accurate). I got a steal on the Spitfire Boat tails so i keep them in stock too.

Latest posts

Back