Rust issue.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flhtr

Reaction score
Does anyone that owns a Triumph having this problem? I use Flitz to remove the rust and apply a film of oil on the barrel. Ater a short time I still get rust spots on the barrel.

Flhtr

Is your Triumph a blued barrel or a Weather Shield?

When you say rust - I guess I would ask is a rust spot or when you wipe the barrel you are seeing signs of rust on you wiping rag?

If it is a blued barrel, and you are wiping a bit of rust - that kinda is normal with a new gun... The blueing process is a rusting process. If this is the case I would suggest you wipe the barrel action clean with some alcohol - let it dry completely and then wipe a high quality oil on the barrel, wipe it on liberally so it almost has standing oil on the metal. The oil will eventually neutralize the blueing process but it will take a couple occasions of wiping oil on to get the blueing neutralized.

It is a blued barrel. It seems like the rust spots keep coming back. I do apply alot of oil after addressing the spots with Flitz. I'll try what you have suggested. Thanks Sabotloader for the help.

Never heard of Rig. What is it? What does it do? Where can I get it?

I hear a lot of thompson center guns rust very easily without Weathershield.

I know this is pretty standard, but it seems to me that good ol WD-40 does a better job of rust prevention than other oil products, but that is just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back