Best detachable rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjbuys

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good pair of detachable scope rings (weaver style) to mount my Leupold Ultimateslam on my triumph. I have the T/C maxima base. The Weaver Grand Slam are the cheapest steel rings, but I'm not sure about the quality compared to the Warne or Leupold quick relase. Also, it has been mentioned in another posts that with the T/C maxima base you can get away with low rings and still have clearance for the hammer and rear sight (which I would like to keep on). Any experience with that or should I just go with the mediums? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks to everyone on the forum. I have learned a lot from you and look forward to your responses.

The only rings I use anymore are the Warne Maxima one inch rings. I have taken them on and off rifles countless times and they never loose their zero.

I have both the Warne Maxima QD and the Leupold QRW rings and both return to zero every time. The Leupold rings come off and go on easier than the Warne's, assemble more easily and don't mark the scope as much. The Warne's are more heavily built. Both do the job most excellently. I don't have any experience with the Grand Slams but would expect them to be good also.

I use them on Knight Disk rifles and the low rings work great with a 40mm objective.

i use the leupold QRW rings with great results, have yet to have an issue. correct me if i'm wrong but i was under the impression that leopold rings were made by warne anyway.

03mossy said:
i use the leupold QRW rings with great results, have yet to have an issue. correct me if i'm wrong but i was under the impression that leopold rings were made by warne anyway.

Leupold has both QR and QRW type rings The QRW fit a weaver base like the Warnes. I don't know about the Leupold QR rings, but I'm also fairly confident the QRW are made by Warne. The Leupold QRW rings have a horizontal split and the Warne QD rings have a vertical split. Check out the links below because I'm guessing what I just said didn't make sense.

Here is the Leupold QR setup -
http://www.swfa.com/c-106-leupold-quick-release-rings-bases.aspx

Here are the Leupold QRW rings-
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2925-417-leupold-qrw-1-rings.aspx

Here are the Warne Maxima QD rings-
http://www.swfa.com/pc-11394-1748-warne-maxima-quick-detach-1-rings.aspx

I have the Warnes and the Leupold QRW's and prefer the Warnes for ease of use and mounting the scope. I don't really like how Leupold's rings "snap" over the scope.

They both hold their zero and have been very dependable, but if I had to buy another set of QD's tomorrow, I'd get Warnes. JMO

I use the Maxima base and Maxima QD (medium) rings on my Triumph. :D

The medium Maxima rings give adequate clearance for both the hammer and rear sight on the Triumph...I am not sure if the low rings would do the same.

I did remove the rear sight though, as I opted to replace it with a NECG peep sight that can be mounted on the Maxima base when the scope is off the gun. I did discover that I have to replace the front sight, which is .400 in height with a taller one (free from TC customer service for the asking) that is .490 in height, in order to bring the strike of the sabot down to the target.
:oops:

mounts

I have both types of Leupolds rings on an Omega and an Encore, both hold zero perfectly, both are easy on and off. My preference is the QR style for the sole reason that the QRW (and the Warnes) have large, sharp release levers and the QR has smaller smooth levers. My experience is that even though they can be repositioned, the larger levers catch on my guncase linings and my clothing when I carry the rifle or cradle it. I've never had one loosen up because of it but have shredded 2 cases and worn a hole in a wool jacket from it. The small rounded one is slighly harder to grip for removal but doesn't catch on anything.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead with the Warne maxima QD, 1" low rings on the T/C maxima base. I'll let you know how it goes and if the low rings are high enough.

now that you got the rings, mount the scope and lets go sight it in. Just waiting on UPS to hurry up with our shipment of goods

Just waiting on them to get here. Should get here midweek next week.

I finally got my warne 1" QD low rings. They mounted the Ultimateslam on my Triumph well with room for the rear sight (not because the scope was high enough, but because it is short enough). There is not, however, room for a lense cover. The setup feels very solid and I like the ease of taking the scope off and on. And no, you cannont see the rear sight through the scope, even at 3x power. Thanks for everyone's advice.
IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

Way to go--I have them and love them on my white rifle--
on off,on off,on off---zero all the time.

GW.

Back