Opinions on new shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new shotgun. My old one is a Reminton 870 Wingmaster and it's about 45 years old. It won't shoot steel, which is a must now to take ducks and geese. (Lead is still OK for upland game.)
What I'm looking at is a Stoeger P350. It has interchangeable chokes. I'm told it's a good gun but I don't have any experience with it so I'm looking for opinions.

I looked at the 870. There are 2. 870 express and Wingmaster. 300 - 400 difference in price :? (Wingmaster is the more expensive) I haven't hunted ducks or geese in years and not sure if I'll do a lot. The express is in my price range but the Stoeger sure was pretty with all that Camo :wink: . Not sure if I'll go ahead with this but would be a neat looking gun.

Grouse said:
Remington 870 or 1187. Pretty easy decision. :)

I AGREE! I have a buddy that tried the Stoeger :lol: ...went back and traded for a Remington....

big6x6 said:
I AGREE! I have a buddy that tried the Stoeger :lol: ..

I saw a new out of the box Stoeger fail miserably on a sea duck hunt a couple years ago... In fact it might have been the same buddy!!! :shock:

benelli

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/novaPump.tpl

Built on a US Military specs and indestructible. I have one in camo, it is light, shoots like a dream and I use it waterfowl, turkey, trap etc. They are priced in the $350-$400. range.
P.S/ I don't care what gun you get, when you shoot a 3.5 inch shell it freaking hurts!

HMMM, looks like I might have to go back to the gun shop and look at some more guns.

VENISONEATR said:
big6x6 said:
I AGREE! I have a buddy that tried the Stoeger :lol: ..

I saw a new out of the box Stoeger fail miserably on a sea duck hunt a couple years ago... In fact it might have been the same buddy!!! :shock:

Ya, Jimmy the "Havoline Special" was pretty much a waste that day... Except for the triple Nug shot with it.... Anyway, mine went towards a new Winchester SX-2.... Tom's went for a Remington.... Still good memories for sure... :yeah:

RAF,

Why don't just buy an extra barrel for your Remington 870.

If you ole' 870 has the chrome plated shell carrier it was made in the time frame that the Rem 870 was still handfitted. The old chrome carrier shotguns are smoother and faster pumping than anything made today.

chocdog

choc-dog

How can you tell which barrels shoot steel and which don't on the 870. I ave the old Belgium Browning s and have to be a genius to which will shoot steel.

choc-dog said:
RAF,

Why don't just buy an extra barrel for your Remington 870.

That would be my vote, unless you happen to want a new gun. I would rather have a new barrel on a well made (old) 870 than the new Stoger.

Another option is using Hevi Shot in your old gun. It will work just fine and while expensive, works better than lead.

I've been away for over a week so have catch up. I don't really want to buy another barrel for this old shot gun. It doesn't work as well as it use to IMO. Still not sure if I'll even buy a new shot gun. Have been doing a lot of thinking on this. I haven't hunted birds for many, many years and just doesn't seem to interest me like it used to. Friend wanted me to take it up again but I just don't seem to h ave the desire. I still have lots of ammunition but it's all lead. I can use lead for upland game, just not migratory birds.
Obviously the stoeger is out after your comments. I'll likely make a descision at the last minute

Benelli Nova hands down. I own a Nova, an 870, 2 1100's one in 12ga and one in 20 ga and one other older off brand shotgun. The Nova is simple, durable, reliable and cheap. Couldnt possibly ask for more.

Also my friend has a stoeger 2000 and has had zero issues with it. The only thing it doesnt like to much is ultra light low brass loads. With Stoegers it seems like luck of the draw. You either get a good one or you get a problem child.

Anyway here is my Nova.

Shelbysniffingmysluggun.jpg

Nova

I shoot one as well. Did you put the compensater in the staock? I wanted to shoot 3.5 and pout it in. Still freakin hurts and I'm not recoil shy. So I'm back to 3 inch . Also did you get a rifled slug barrel and was it worth it? Nice looking rig!

another nice thing about the benellis (i now own one :D ) is that you can switch out the recoil pads to adjust the LOP (between 14 3/8, 14, and 13 1/2") and even to adjust from RH to LH. the pads are pricey ($100 a pop), but work very well, and they are contoured for a RH or LH shooter. now i have a benelli M2 which ejects to the right and has a LH contoured recoil pad with the 14" pull length .... weird, but being right-handed and left-eye dominant, exactly what i wanted :wink:

i own a benelli nova also, looks wise its not my favorite, my winchester model 1300 is a beautiful gun but i like the way the benelli shoots so much better and i like the feel of it a lot more too, i also own a remington 870 express and i still dont like the feel of it or the way it shoots compared to the benelli, even tho some of my hunting buddies make fun of my gun cuz they call it a fisher price gun, it doesnt bother me, i usually shoot my limit in birds in a day before them, go with the nova, excellent gun for the price

I'll throw my hat in the Nova ring. I have three, two Tactical models for home defense and a camoed up 20 ga for squirrels and such.

I had a 24" turckey/goose gun. I used it for one season and sold it. Don't know why! I filled both trukey permits and even used it in the pits. That got me started on Novas.

Jerry

Back