finally got it dialed in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
Last year I bought a CVA Kodiak Pro in 45 cal and I've had a hard time getting it to shoot good groups. Let me say that by "good" I mean somewhere around MOA. The best I've been able to acheive is 2-3" groups with most of them being closer to 3" and a LOT of flyers. This isn't acceptable for I was intending as a "long range" gun.

Part of the problem I believe is the combination of 3F powder and Remington Kleanbore primers. After reading sabotloader's post I don't think the primer is hot enough to ignite all the powder at once and it's blowing unused powder out the barrel with charges over 100gr. I get more fouling with this than I do with 2F powder and regular Winchester primers. I've tried several loads at 120gr. and the flyers are crazy. Next year I will either switch to a hotter primer, switch back to 2F or try BH209...which will require a hotter primer anyways from what I've read.

What I ended up sighting in with was the 225gr powerbelt aerotip. I actually managed a sub MOA group with 100gr of powder. I'd much rather the 275gr or a Hornady XTP...both of which I tried. However, time ran out and I won't be able to make back to the range before the season starts. At least I'm zero'd with acceptable accuracy.

Some interesting things:
I tried the 200gr 35 Rem bullet with awful results. Too bad I found the posts on this site from guys who have already tried it AFTER I bought the bullets. Couldn't find the 180gr single shot pistol version or I would've bought that instead. The 200gr. keyholed and was all over the target at 50 yards.

Tried the 180gr 357 XTP. Time ran out on this load and the rain started up strong. With 100gr I put two shots into one hole at 50 with another shot an inch away. At 100 I acheived the same exact result...oddly enough the one shot that was off from the other two was in the same spot at 50 and 100 yards...but still only an inch off. I did have a flyer at 100 but not sure if that was the rain or barrel heat. I didn't have much time to let it cool at all really. I'll give this load another go after the season ends.

On another trip I got the 200gr 40cal XTP into 2.5" with 120gr of powder and I'm sure I can shrink that by dropping to 100. Just didn't have time to try it this time around.

275gr powerbelt grouped almost 3".

So I ended up with what would be my last choice for a good hunting bullet (out of the many that I own). I did manage a decent two shot group with the hollow point version of the 225 and 120gr of powder...those came with the gun and that's what led me to try the same weight in the aerotip. I don't like the hollowpoint version and I prefer the heavier bullet for on game performance. The gun also seemed to foul less with this bullet but that was on a different trip when it wasn't raining (I was under a covered shooting area) and therefore less humid...not sure if that can affect things. Also not sure if the rain falling can affect bullet flight. I tried not to shoot when it was coming down. I'm also not sure how hot is too hot when it comes to barrel temps. I do know that it seems to throw more flyers even when the barrel is only warm 90-100 deg. approx.

After the season I also want to try to shoot a sabotless 300 or 250gr XTP/SST but I'll want to be able to shoot more powder effectively...100gr won't cut it. I also want to try the Thor bullets. As much as I've come to loathe trying to sight in my ML it's really become addicting. Maybe it's the fact that I'm never satisfied til I've succeeded at something or maybe it's the pressure of having a good shooting gun for the part of deer season that is usually the most productive for me. Or maybe it's the fact that I can shoot my bow into an orange all day at 30 yards and shoot 1/2MOA or less with my 270 and it irritates me that I can't do the same with the ML......eh.....it's probably all of the above.

James 14,

How does the primer strike look? We have 2 Kodiaks and both have very off-center firing pins.

just curious,
mcrik

Start your loads with 90 grains of powder with the XTP's then work your way up. With 120 grains of powder I believe that you're pushing them too fast. I tried the Powerbelts in my .45 CVA Optima Pro and had terrible results. After reading some posts made by Frontier Gander regarding Powerbelts, I realized that I was pushing them too fast. I did shoot one buck with the 195 grain Powerbelts but I didn't like the fact that the entrance and exit wounds were the same diameter. I highly recommend 90 grains of Blackhorn 209, 200 grain XTP's, CCI primers, and MMP (tan) sabots. You might want to PM Frontier Gander for more info regarding Powerbelts. He has alot of experience with Powerbelts.

Primers look good.

For what I am trying to acheive I don't think 90 gr. is enough (maybe with BH209). Which has been part of the irritation. I'm looking for a legitimate 200 yard load which requires decent accuracy with enough speed to have enough energy at that distance. Also want something that won't drop like a brick.
If I was only looking for 150 yards max I'd have found my load forever ago with the 275 gr. powerbelt or the XTP. In all reality I've shot few deer out past 100 yards...but it's nice to know I can do it if I need to since I hunt a lot of open areas.

I'm surprised to hear about the 195s punching through.

James 14

Hey man, the 195 Barnes work great, but ya got to push em'.
195Barnes.jpg

This one was fired from a 45 caliber Knight Disc Elite over 120 grains of 777 ffg.

180 yards. just under the skin on the opposite of a big doe.

45 cal. Disc Elites are money guns for long range.

Your results may vary with the CVA.

The 195 Barnes needs to hit flesh to expand... not bone.
Place the shot behind the shoulder.

I may have to try those as well when I change my powder/primer configuration.

Another thing I didn't even realize is that I never tried the Shockwaves with 100gr of powder. Still have 25 left. They grouped very erratically and now I know why. I've heard stories of these not expanding on game but haven't had a chance to verify that yet. I did shoot a coyote at 100 yards but that's hardly an acceptable test...except that it hit dead center.

I've had very good results with the 200 SST out of my CVA .45 Hunterbolt. Best 100 yard groups have been just over 1", and I usually don't get flyers. 100 grains of 777 FFFG with this load produces almost 2100 fps - this is for sure a 175+ yard load.

Not sure what stories you heard about SST/Shockwaves not performing on game, unless you're talking about the .45 cal 250 grain version - those I have heard. I've heard only good things about the .40 cal version. Granted, I've only taken 1 deer with it - hardly an extensive test- but it did perform well. A guy on another site has taken many, many deer with the .40 cal Shockwave with very good results.

I'm interested in your experiments with the 357 XTP 180 grain. What sabots are you using? That bullet was next on my list to experiment with- seems like it has a lot of promise.

As for accuracy, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get sub-MOA with your Kodiak consistently. I mean, it's a lofty goal, but I haven't seen many guys get sub-MOA CONSISTENTLY often- and it's usually with higher-end ML's like Knight. I'm pretty happy with my $120 ML that shoots just as good or better than most of the ML's out there, even if it is 1 - 1.5" groups instead of sub-MOA. Just my 2 cents.....

Yeah I'll be trying it again. It is definitely a 175+ load. I figured a 200 yd MPBR at 2100 fps.

For the 180 gr I was using MMP sabots from Cabelas...which come from PR...which I don't think are the newest formula. These are orange and the new ones are a different color I think. I'd like to be able to push these at least 2000...preferrably 2100 or more if possible. With a BC of .23 (per Hornady) and a SD of .202 along with the hollowpoint it should fly well, penetrate and expand decently as most XTPs I've seen do. I'd really like to shoot a deer with them.

Back