Question about first shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

Reaction score
I read in many forums, that a lot of people expect there first shot to be a flier. I'm a hunter first, the reason I shot at paper is to make sure all my shots are able to kill the game I'm after. How far off is the first shot you shoot? Do you know where it is going to hits? One guy even said he doesn't even aim for the first shot. Do you always cleaning between shots?

Dave

Some, not all rifles will throw the first shot. Actually if you want to get real, they throw the second shot. Its the first shot that is accurate. For that reason some people sight in on their first shot and then learn where their second shot will go.

BUT.. others will fowl the barrel before they hunt. They drop about 30 grains of powder, down the bore and set it off. Then swab the bore and load. Now their second shot is their first shot. The problem with that is they basically have to clean the rifle each night or take the chance of what the fowling will do to the barrel. That is one of the advantages of this new BlackHorn powder. You can shoot all day and never worry about what the powder will do in the barrel. Also depending on where you live, such powders as Triple Seven can be left in the bore for extended periods of time.

Its all a matter of consistency. To have the best accuracy with a muzzleloader you want consistency shot to shot. So if you shoot on a bone clean barrel, you really can not expect the next shot on a dirty barrel to be the same. Now some rifles will to be that far off. So test your rifles.

One thing I have been experimenting with is Montana Bore Conditioner. I am hoping that it will bring the first shot in with the second shot. I am still testing on all of that.

How far off are you talking? Is it more than 3-4 inches?? I haven't shot my Accura yet. I have snow about 2 foot deep and the range I shot at is buried and a looong walk. I can't get even get my quad out.

Dave

Pappy, it varies with the rifle. Some will put the cold, clean shot as much as 4 or 5 inches off from the following rounds. Some will put that first one right in with the rest - or close enough not to matter.

You'll have to shoot your rifle to know how yours is going to behave. That behavior can also change with choice of powder, but no set rule on that either.

My muzzleloaders are sighted to put the bullet from a clean barrel on target. All of them will put the shot from a dirty barrel within 2" of the shot from a clean barrel.

If one of my guns put the shots from an clean and a dirty barrel more than about 3" apart it would go away.

i will agree with cayuga ..this guy knows his stuff from PRACTICE on the range ..that is were the real story unfolds ...on the range ,with ur own muzzleloader ..

I also have my gun sighted in for the first shot from a clean barrel to be right on. Really isn't much difference in POI in my second shot either, though it goes downhill quickly after that without swabbing the barrel. I used to fire off a squib charge to foul the barrel prior to hunting but quit doing that a few years back.

Just to add to this thread...if you are shooting a conical, just wrap the conical in white pipe thread tape, this will simulate a fouled bore and the 2nd shot will go in the same group. I get 1/2" groups with the White .504 at 100 yds. using this method.

Latest posts

Back