Peep Sight??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

Reaction score
Troops I have a 54 cal LEFT HAND TC, and am looking for a peep sight rig to fit it,, do any of you know off hand if the TC will fit ?? Or could give me an idea of what model/make to look for

T/C makes a tang peep sight that will fit that old rifle. It makes no difference whether it is right or left handed, as it rests right on the rear tang. I have one here around the house in fact.

I think Cabelas has one as well. A tang mounted peep that fits the Cabelas Hawken , should fit a TC.

Peep Sight

Check in with RMC they have a V peep that I have on a few guns replaces blade in rear sight works well for me

I like the TC peep on my TC Hawken rifles. Fiber optic front helps a lot when the light is poor.

I might try that rat trapper. I have a Thompson Center peep around here, and I could throw that on a Renegade and then a fiber optic front site. What color front site do you like best?

The old tang sight that TC made wasn't worth a hoot. It didn't have a positive stop for the ladder to lock in the vertical position.

The later style peep sight used on the New Englander/Grey Hawk/Tree Hawk/ Pa Hunter was a solidly mounted tange peep. It required an allen wrench to adjust, but that's probably a good thing.

Lyman made a receiver style sight for MLers, but I think just for RH.

Williams makes receiver sights, and one of the varieties is the Guide series. They may make one to fit, or one for a flat top receiver may be adaptable. Brownell's would be a good source.

The later style peep sight used on the New Englander/Grey Hawk/Tree Hawk/ Pa Hunter was a solidly mounted tange peep. It required an allen wrench to adjust, but that's probably a good thing. /: I can't find any peep sights on their web/site? I would like to find one for my 54cal. Grey Hawk. Ron

I just got off the phone with T/C : Fox Ridge Outtfitters. They had 1 peep sight in stock for the Grey Hawk/New Englander,so I ordered it! :D Hopefully,this will help the "old eyes" see the front sight better. I guess it's a tang sight,as there is no pics. on site of it? Can't wait to try it out :) Ron

It sounds like the same sight as I have. It mounts via the rear tang screw, and another is supposed to be D&T. Mine has been mounted for years without the 2nd hole D&T, but I really should do it. This sight will increase your sight radius by 50% and allow you to look THROUGH the rear so as to put the front post or bead on the target. Its the next best thing to a low powered scope.

rks1949 said:
I just got off the phone with T/C : Fox Ridge Outtfitters. They had 1 peep sight in stock for the Grey Hawk/New Englander,so I ordered it! :D Hopefully,this will help the "old eyes" see the front sight better. I guess it's a tang sight,as there is no pics. on site of it? Can't wait to try it out :) Ron

Cayuga,
I like the yellowish green fiber optic I think it shows up better in low light and very quick too pick up.

I perfer the red fiber optic front sight. TC offers one in this color. Williams sight comany offers apaturs that will screw into both TC & Lyman peep sights. The twight .125 or .150 dia works for me. Midway has them in their catalog.

I just put a peep on my Hawken but I have a question. A couple years ago I bought Williams fiber optic blade/dovetail sights. Worked ok but didnt love em. Well I recently bought an Omega from a member here. He threw in a bunch of extras. 1 of the extras was a peep williams peep. I just slid the peep off the base and slid it into the base on the rifle. Seems to be pretty good. My question is does the peep normally mount where the the rear sight mounts? I know on my 22 target rifle the peep is just in front of my eye but on the Hawken it is about 12 inches forward of the breech.
This is the peep I have:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Franksauto-
You want the peep as close to your eye as possible. The idea of a peep is that you just look thru it, your eye automatically centers itself in the hole, not like regular open sights where you have to actually align the front and rear sight. A peep mounted where the rear sight is too far away, your eye will try to focus on the peep, everything else will be fuzzy then. The closer to the eye you can get the peep,the better. The one on my encore is right at the end of the barrel, about an inch in front of the hammer.

mirage1988 said:
Franksauto-
You want the peep as close to your eye as possible. The idea of a peep is that you just look thru it, your eye automatically centers itself in the hole, not like regular open sights where you have to actually align the front and rear sight. A peep mounted where the rear sight is too far away, your eye will try to focus on the peep, everything else will be fuzzy then. The closer to the eye you can get the peep,the better. The one on my encore is right at the end of the barrel, about an inch in front of the hammer.

Thats what I thought but the only way to mount it back on my Hawken is to drill and tap the breech area. I did mount it where the rear sight normally mounts and it was ok. I took a few shots and it seemed fine.

Latest posts

Back