Fish Hooks, hand forged etc....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are cool. Now there's a hobby you don't see everyday. I'm guessing you have a small forge. Do you craft any other unique items?

very small forge. I do make vent picks for flintlocks the same way, a few fire strikers, but the fish hooks go the fastest. One of the larger ones I used to catch couple small sand sharks on a few months back, but had to use steel leader. I like fired shark better than catfish.

very neat! My brother and I just got a forge a couple weeks ago. Already have my first knife halfway hammered out.

Jonathan, early fish hooks like used in the fur trade didn't have an eye (that appeared in the 1850's). The early eyeless hooks were first seen on the east coast, Crockett and several others carried them in KY.

download.jpg

eyeless hook tying.png

Jonathan, early fish hooks like used in the fur trade didn't have an eye (that appeared in the 1850's). The early eyeless hooks were first seen on the east coast, Crockett and several others carried them in KY.

I make both spade/blind eye hooks (some in my original photo) and with eye as found in 10th century. The blind eye makes a neater fly. ========370865092349.jpg480p.jpg

eyeless hook.jpg

No loop on end of hook, they are just a flatten end rounded off to prevent catching on the edges.

Washington's fishing kit (seen at Valley Forge, PA.) has a hand-full as do some found in the belongings of those that traveled the western frontier (southeast Ohio) and later further into the Stoney Mountains (now called the Rockies).

.​

How's Paul doing? Sold him "Clark & Sons Mercantile" years ago. I have known him for at least that long through the AMM or longer - both brothers. The food business wasn't to his liking and he sold it. He makes really nice fishing equipment for period guys. Check him out. Historic Angling Enterprises

Jonathan look at this website of Paul Jones shows the "spade" hook that he sells. His items are done correctly and Paul has the research to prove it if interested.

very neat! My brother and I just got a forge a couple weeks ago. Already have my first knife halfway hammered out.
About half of the eyed hooks in the photo
Just got back on, just a note, most of the eyed hooks in the pictures were picked up by a Jomsborg Viking re-enactor last spring, making more, I make blind-eye/shank/eyeless etc. as see in the photo. Made hooks out of pieces of hog tusk, birds claw, bone splinters, pen clips, horse shoe nails, fish bone, flint, zipper pulls, flechettes from a 155, etc. If you see a copy of J. Wayne Fears book, Complete Book of Wilderness Survival, you'll see a picture of a rack of hooks I made and caught fish on in Weeks Bay and local lakes/ponds. I just like to make them. No, I don't think blacksmiths sat around and pounded out fish hooks all day as some one mentioned to me, but if a 5 year old boy with a tack hammer, a hand full of box nails can squat around his grandpaws anvil and make them then it definitely isn't rocket science. Keep that forge hot!

Back