Optima is in!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowest 2 shots were my first group after i scrubbed the bore with flitz and 000 steel wool. I adjusted 3 clicks up and took 2 more shots and steadied myself better. Those top 2 shots were just under 1" center to center. Not bad for a muzzleloader thats not even One day old! This was 100 yards too. 270gr Powerbelt Platinums, 100gr BH209. Next time out i will try 110gr and see if that will tighten them up. This rifle also softens recoil a good deal better than the Accura. I was pretty surprised, but once i try the 338 Platinums with 120gr BH209 we will see just how much better it does with recoil.

By the way, What the heck is all this in the snow? Its spread out 17 feet in front of me, by 10 feet wide. Is it unburnt powder??

Well i found the first "flaw" on this rifle today. I was shooting 110gr bh209 with the 270gr platinums and i accidently dropped a spent primer down and it fell into the frame. Theres a good sized gap down there so i was able to shake it out pretty easily. Just something to watch out for.

I also found out today when using the federal 209a primers, recoil seems to be a lot harder with blackhorn209. In fact, it was so hard that it was enough to kiss me on the nose and boy did i get it good and hard! I got a bump right in the middle of my nose that makes me look like i had a broken nose at one point in my life. A little black and blue as well.

I just added new sights to my flintlock so i am going to change over to that for a bit and give the nose some time to heal.

110gr bh209 - 270gr plat didnt shoot good, it was a 4 1/2" group.

100gr American Pioneer 2f loads shot 2 1/2" which was pretty good i felt, seeing how i kept flinching when i'd pull the trigger :lol: i swear i am going to end up with a broken nose one of these days.

In fact, it was so hard that it was enough to kiss me on the nose and boy did i get it good and hard!

Hey Gander, if I remember correctly you've been "scope kissed" several times over the last year. I suspect your shooting bench is too low. It should be high enough that your back is nearly straight when you shoot.

frontier gander said:
its just right for my eye. Normally im pressing my cheek bone into the stock and that sucks with recoil. This is just right. Check out all the eye relief though! Even our centerfires dont offer that much.
105_9135.jpg

SCOPE KISSES

FG, its looks like that super high scope mount has your gun way to high on your shoulder, but it could just be the picture. Looks like half the butt is above....... and only part of the butt is in contact with your shoulder

rev you are right about the picture, i just threw it up for the picture as my camera goes off fast. Yesterday mainly was me being stupid and not holding the rifle into my shoulder tight. I held it loose and floppy and i got it good.

Semi has another good point. I really do have to lean forward good in order to use my bench. When i go out to the NRA i am better off as the tables they have are much higher off the ground.

Not a bad looking rifle except for that protruding lever ahead of the trigger guard (Traditions-style). I don't care for that. Looks like it combines features from both the Accura and (a few) from the Apex.

I wonder if that buttstock will fit on the Accura?

Im actually very impressed with its lines and style other than the action release.

VERY NICE LOOKING IMO. :yeah:

Latest posts

Back