700 ml conversion - Pictures Included

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying out a new 209 conversion the last few days.
It consists of a press fit 209 primer holder on bolt face,
a firing pin made to fit existing bolt,
and a new breech plug with a ventliner.
It eliminates 90-95% of the blowback.
It is comparable to the Savage as far as cleanliness.
I really like this conversion and it only cost $80.00.
I have tried it with tripple 7, shockeys gold, pyrodex and blackhorn 209 and all fired flawless more than 60 shots in 3 different guns. I think I am going to get 2 more of these for my other 700ml's.

:D yes hunter let us know.there will be alot of 700 owners that will convert at that price.

I was just talking with him today. He is a machinist in whipple.
The ones he has made he used our existing slam fire pins and cut them down. He is going to make another run in a week or 10 days. If anyone is interested he dosent want to fool with shipping but I will pick them up and
ship to you for actual shipping costs. The only bad thing is you have to disassamble your bolt and replace the firing pin like the canadian conversion. Also he says it would be better if each person would screw the firing pin into the bolt assembly and then drill the small hole into the firing pin and install the roll pin to keep it from backing out.
So a person will have 20-30 minutes to install this firing pin

I can not get the pictures to go thru to your server. I get this message about a hour after I try to send (Mail system error-returned mail).

Can someone tell me how to post pictures on this site?

Here you go... the management

Pg1.jpg

pg2.jpg

pg3.jpg

derfhunter?

How did you achive the press fit ? I assume your machinest buddy took care of that when you sent it to him? It looks great by the way. should be about as clean as it can get considering everything . I have to find one to convert!....thanks
Wayles

:D excellent job hunter.should be a no brainer for 700 conversions.

Wayles;
He made the primer holder shoulder 3 thousands under size for the press fit. He said that a person could use some locktite if a person felt it was needed but mineis staying put just fine without.

I have had some people in the know suggest that we make the firing pin around .090. I think I will try one of these and if they work as good I will see if I can get some made with the smaller firing pin.

Not to step on toes with my first post. But, I believe you mean it is .125 or 1/8 inch now and it has been suggested to make .090. A human hair is about .006, piece of paper about .004.

I've been wanting to do a conversion myself and this is about what I've been thinking. Other is using a primed case of some kind.

Looks good!!!! :yeah:

Kevin

Derfhunter, If you make your pin smaller you should seriously consider making it match the Rem 700 CF firing pin dia. of .070"-.073". If someone told you to use .090" they must have never measured a 700CF pin. .090" sounds like a shotgun size to me or it's an arbitrary number and they're trying to reinvent the wheel. Due to the cross section area, a smaller diameter pin hits with more force.

derfhunter

Contrary to what Mountainam is indicating I still think the 0.090 would be the ideal diameter as it will add strength to the pin and possible prevent it from bending under an adverse recoil or ejection of a primer. In the case of a center fire the brass case will also absorb some of this recoil.

My reason for originally sugesting the 0.080/0.090 size was to prevent the primer from being pushed up through the firing pin hole in the the adapter. Otherwise I would still continue using the same size pin that Knight uses.

Mountainam is correct about the shotgun pin size, when I measure the pin in my Browning BT-99 or 100 it measures 0.100. These are trap guns so you can imagine how many shots a guy puts through one of those in a year. Firing pin durabilty is a key concern in this application. They are designed for repeated firing of a shotgun 209 primer and shell.

Back