CVA Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire100

Reaction score
Just bought a CVA Accura, 50 cal. I'd like opinions. Currently have a T/C Triumph with a Nikon 3 x 9 BDC. I bought this because I hunt in WI and they dont allow any magnification scopes so the CVA will be used with the iron/fiber optic sights it comes with. Opinions, advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Opinions about what? :wink: Should be an excellent choice. Try 90-100 grains of your favorite powder, .451/.452 Hornady XTPs or Speer GD or Uni-Cor bullets (suggest 300 grainers) in Harvester Crushed Ribs with appropriate primers (Win209a work just fine for me).

If you go with a 250 grain bullet, might want to look at the Harvester short black sabots.

Accura

Thank you. I had a bunch of issues with my T/C Triumph when I first got it, but my friend has 2 Accura's and never had an issue. Does anyone have any experince with their iron/fiber optic sights? I wont be scoping this rifle and curious if these sights are any good/reliable.

i have to use open sights in Colorado and they worked great this past september. Didnt get to shoot anything but they were perfect. Very sturdy sights and easy to see.

Personally, I like the iron sights on my CVA Accura. the only gripe I have is the front red fiber optic tends to fade out about 10 minutes before the end of legal shooting hours. the rear green stays glowing long after shooting hours ends.

I'd much prefer them both being green.

I just bought one as well and the fiber sights seem bright and clear for the most part but as mentioned, the front sight does fade at dusk. I dont think this is a huge problem, a larger fiber would no offer such a fine aiming point.

I tried 300 grain .429 and .452 XTP's and found my Accura to prefer the .452's with 100 and 90 grains of 777. I was doing 1" groups at 50 yards. Thats plenty good for anything walking. The .44's were doing 2" or so. Loaded some 410 grain conicals, shot one and called it a day. That one round impacted 8" lower than the XTP's at the same distance.

:D :D

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your ACCURA. Try some of these loads that the forum members gave you and I know you won't have any issues. It's just finding whats right for your accura.
GOOD LUCK :!: :!: :!: :!:

Ray

My open sights set up for my muzzleloaders is a Williams Peep rear sight and a Truglo Globe fiberoptic front sight. Very bright and small front bead. Can see it well in very dim light. It uses a wrapped fiberoptic strand to gather light. Kind of expensive, but I love it.

Thanks guys. I had a friend talked into a Accura. He went to Cabelas in St. Louis and he said 3 different salesmen told him they have barrel problems so my friend bought a T/C. I tried to explain those issues are old news from back around 1995-6, but the sales people scared him into the T/C. I have a T/C Triumph so I'm not opposed to it, but the Accura was a deal I could not refuse. I good friend of mine has 2 of them and loves them. I've not heard any issues about CVA recently. Also, the salespeople said the Accura is not a magnum. I have no gripe with Cabelas because I've taken advantage of several good deals there and customer service has always been good.

Accura

Thanks for everyone's replies. When you all have mentioned the front sight fading it concerns me a little. After all, some of the best hunting is the last 30 minutes of sunlight and regulation hours. Are you all saying the front sight becomes useless 10 minutes before hunting os done for the day? If yes, this is an issue. Are there any solutions if I cannot scope the gun?

CVA Accura is capable of the magnum 3 pellet loads, the guys behind the counter pull on their pud to much and its dulling their brains :wink:

Accura

I agree. All the info I've seen with respect to problems were dated back to 1995 and 1996.

ACCURA

You could always replace the front fiber with a green one. Order it from CVA or Brownell's. Cut the front one in the middle and pull it out. Push in the new green one and flair the end with a little heat and your good to go.

Re: Accura

spitfire100 said:
Thanks for everyone's replies. When you all have mentioned the front sight fading it concerns me a little. After all, some of the best hunting is the last 30 minutes of sunlight and regulation hours. Are you all saying the front sight becomes useless 10 minutes before hunting os done for the day? If yes, this is an issue. Are there any solutions if I cannot scope the gun?

I'm not familiar with how the front sight on the Accura is made but on most fiber sights you can change out the piece of fiber. Get a green piece the same size as the piece in there and change it out. It's actually plastic and not glass so you can cut and melt the ends to fit.

Bow hunting shops usually have fiber on hand or you can order it. I wouldn't let a $1.00 piece of plastic be the deciding factor. Good luck!

Accura

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and will look into changing the front sight.

As with any new gun, clean the crap out of it before ever loading. Make sure everything is free of factory preservatives. The light green fiber optics seem to show longer for most people.

Make sure your bore and plug are free of any oils before loading as well. Alcohol patches followed by dry patches is the method I use on the bore and just pour a little alcohol through the plug then blow it dry if you have air (hair dryer should work). Add a good grease on the plug threads (Slick50 ONE grease works well and a tube will last your lifetime) or a wrap of Teflon tape on the threads in a single layer.

Accura

The nie thing about the Accura is that it is so easy to break down and clean. I will give it a good cleaning before using.

I Don't need a new Accura

Less than $300 at the bargin Bin

I WANT a new Accura

Accura

Cabelas $239 with a free case. Blu/Blk. Stainless is $289. Hard to turn that down.

Latest posts

Back