Bullet + Sabot Question!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinks

Reaction score
Straight to the point,
Rifle: Lands=.500" Grove=.510"
Bullet 240grn Hornady XTP=.450"
Base of Sabot=.490"
Bullet + Sabot=.500"

Why the hick do I have to work like a dog to get this combo down the pipe!!!????

If the the sabot and bullet = the bore(Lands) I have .010" of room, should it be so darn tight? They shoot awesome, just wish I didn't have to work so hard!! Any in-put will be greatly appreciated!! Can show picks of my bullet/sabot combo.......oh yeah measurements where not taken with digital calipers!

Perry

If you have set that down the bore with a short starter... and after that there is a lot of effort to seat the sabot/bullet... try a crushed rib sabot. I am guessing that the bore is clean and dry or at least swabbed?

Perry,
Without a precision measuring device, it's going to be really difficult to know exactly what you're working with. Just a couple thousandths can make or break ya. You may want to try an easy load type sabot. Harvester and MMP both make sabots designed for easier loading for tight bores. The bullets you have are.452 I believe. If you had accurate dimensions, you could use the bullet/sabot dimension chart at the top of the page and get a good idea of what might work for ya.

pinks said:
Straight to the point,
Rifle: Lands=.500" Grove=.510"
Bullet 240grn Hornady XTP=.450"
Base of Sabot=.490"
Bullet + Sabot=.500"

Why the hick do I have to work like a dog to get this combo down the pipe!!!????

If the the sabot and bullet = the bore(Lands) I have .010" of room, should it be so darn tight? They shoot awesome, just wish I didn't have to work so hard!! Any in-put will be greatly appreciated!! Can show picks of my bullet/sabot combo.......oh yeah measurements where not taken with digital calipers!

Something is amiss!!

If your bore is .500 and groove is .510 a bullet/sabot combo that measures .500 outside diameter can NOT be a tight fit.

Perry

Bullets are started with a starter rod, the bore is dry/clean and when at the range swabbed between shoots, even tried a couple shoots with no swab, still hard to get down, hick I even tried some bore butter and still got a hernia!! :roll: Are sabots colour coded for diameters.....i.e Green sabot = .xxx" Yellow sabot=.xxx"....etc!!? I used calipers....just not digital!

Perry

pinks said:
Bullets are started with a starter rod, the bore is dry/clean and when at the range swabbed between shoots, even tried a couple shoots with no swab, still hard to get down, hick I even tried some bore butter and still got a hernia!! :roll: Are sabots colour coded for diameters.....i.e Green sabot = .xxx" Yellow sabot=.xxx"....etc!!? I used calipers....just not digital!

Perry

I am not doubting at all that you have dificulty loading, however the math based on the measurements just does not add up to a "snug press fit".

Sabots are color coded but there is no standard to go by. Different manufacturers request sabots in different colors.

Is the combo you mentioned above a Hornady prepack..sabots (black) and bullets? If so the combo has our HPH-24 sabot. The loaded diameter in this case is .505/.506

If you need smaller loaded diameter our 3Petal EZ sabot yields a loaded diameter of .502/.503

The Hornady prepack in this case would be designated Low Drag sabots ( red).

Thanks RAZORBACK, the sabot/bullet combo i'm using is infact the Hornady 240 XTP with sabots(Black). The Hornady bullets are actually .452" so if you add the sabot, my measurements are a little short, but still would it make it that hard to load!? If it will help the rifle is a Traditions 209 Tracker. I was thinking of trying some Hornady SST with the Red sabots........Not sure what the bullet diameter of those are.....or what the combined diameter of bullet/sabot would be with these!? I really appreciate all the help here guys!!!

Perry

pinks said:
Thanks RAZORBACK, the sabot/bullet combo i'm using is infact the Hornady 240 XTP with sabots(Black). The Hornady bullets are actually .452" so if you add the sabot, my measurements are a little short, but still would it make it that hard to load!? If it will help the rifle is a Traditions 209 Tracker. I was thinking of trying some Hornady SST with the Red sabots........Not sure what the bullet diameter of those are.....or what the combined diameter of bullet/sabot would be with these!? I really appreciate all the help here guys!!!

Perry

I use the Hornady SST low drags in one of mine too and they made a world of difference.

pinks said:

Perry

Green sabots are normally .430
Black are .452
Orange are .458
Dark Blue are .400

then there are different thickness of sabots to remember.. EZ glide, crushed rib and MPH H-24 are the thinner ones. I personally use the Harvester Crushed Rib for most all my shooting.

Measuring sabots can be difficult.....kinda like measuring a sponge!

The Hornady SST bullets are .452 diameter. If you get the prepacks with the Low Drag sabots this combo will load much easier than the combo you now have.

RAZORBACK said:

The Hornady SST bullets are .452 diameter. If you get the prepacks with the Low Drag sabots this combo will load much easier than the combo you now have.

Thanks!! How much are the tight fitting sabot/bullet combo slowing down FPS!? or is it?

Perry

pinks said:
RAZORBACK said:

Thanks!! How much are the tight fitting sabot/bullet combo slowing down FPS!? or is it?

Perry

The tighter fitting saboted bullets would more than likely be giving you FASTER velocities IME. More dwell time for powder to get burning and pressure increase. At least to some degree.

sabots

I personally use the Harvester Crushed Rib for most all my shooting.

X2, never had that problem except on a really fouled bore. Use the CR's and i have never looked back.

Unless I'm missing something, the .010" groove dimension is irrelevant - it's the .500" to .500" line to line fit is where your sabot contacts the lands and provides the resistance. Is the .500" sabot diameter measurement taken with the bullet in it? That seems a bit small to me.

tpcollins said:
Unless I'm missing something, the .010" groove dimension is irrelevant - it's the .500" to .500" line to line fit is where your sabot contacts the lands and provides the resistance. Is the .500" sabot diameter measurement taken with the bullet in it? That seems a bit small to me.

Measured with bullet in the sabot, I didn't have digital calipers so I may be a few thousands or hunderds of an inch short.

Perry

I personally use the Harvester Crushed Rib for most all my shooting.

Last year i started using the crush ribs with my .430 bullets. They load much easier and give excellent accuracy in my guns. i have not used the .252 crush ribs but will order some soon.

The three petal Hornady Low Drag sabots with the 250 grain SST load easily in my Encore and give good accuracy. The Super Glide sabots load very easy: However, accuracy was non-existent.

The Super Glide sabots load very easy: However, accuracy was non-existent.
X2, I put em' out 100 yards and use them as bullseyes. Gotta do something with them!

Land=.500 look as youhave a Gonik,to get sabot for those gun, try PRB, they also have those sabots.
moose1

I shot my BC yesterday for the first time to get some velocity comparisons with BH209. I had some old all lead Knight 260 gr bullets/sabots that ran about .512" around the sabot. After the first shot I had to stand on the ramrod and pound on it to get it in. So I started swabbing with Hoppes to act as a lubricant for the rest of the session.

At the end, I shot a 260 green sabot PR Dead Center that has some promising statistics when entered ina bullet stabilty chart. But these ran about .503"-.504" and nearly fell down the barrel. However, with 115 grains of BH209, it only registered just over 1700 FPS, well below what similar charges were with the tighter fitting sabot.

I really like these bullets but I'm calling MMP today as it looks like they offer a green sabot that is a few thousands larger. I'm convinced that the people saying that BH209 likes a tight fitting sabot is true.

RAZORBACK said:

Aint that the truth. :lol:

I take several measurements. Usually the base of the bullet is the tightest point for the sabot but also the least amount of area in contact with the bore. Getting a consistent reading the full length is a bit of a chore.

Near the top of the bearing surface to the middle is the most consistent and IMO the largest factor to resistance. This is just my opinion.

Im assuming you make the SST low drag and it appears to be a great balance of good fit and adequate seal for BH209. Again this is just my opinion but they work well in all of my 50 cals including the 300gr SST.

Thank you again Razorback. Its great to have a manufacturer here on the site. Not many people have the long term experience as you.

Latest posts

Back