FIRST ATTEMPT SMOKELESS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
I took the APEX smokeless out today for a quick trial. Should be in the 70's, but it was 40's & rain. I knew I'd have the range to myself. I have an automatic powder dispenser on order to speed up pre loading the charges. I moved my VX-R Firedot on to this barrel & did a quick bore sight. Right out of the gate, a tight 3 shot group at 50 yards. I the moved out to 100 took 2 shots, & then adjusted to the left & took 2 more. I over adjusted & that used up the loads I had made up. I have no doubt that this is going to be easily accurate beyond 200 yards.

The setup:
CVA APEX Slufoot conversion 45/70 barrel, 1-20 twist
10gr 4759
48gr 4198
Barnez T-EZ 250 sabotless
Fed 209A primer
2368fps
(This is a load developed by Carlos)

0637F382-79EA-4887-8BB1-080C899E8029_zpsfwp6lqnk.jpg

A82AD74E-73DA-48EF-9ED1-A8EB80212832_zpsegnchy5y.jpg

Greg, I'm pretty sure you know this but it's best not to trust powder measures (dispensers) to throw accurate smokeless powder loads especially if you're dealing with duplex loads. Weighing each charge keeps me out of trouble.

patocazador said:
Greg, I'm pretty sure you know this but it's best not to trust powder measures (dispensers) to throw accurate smokeless powder loads especially if you're dealing with duplex loads. Weighing each charge keeps me out of trouble.
I'lll be using the same system that Carlos uses & checking charges at random to make sure it doesn't change

:cheers: 
Good shooting buddy  :!:  :!: Enjoy your new adventure :Red tup: 

Ray............ :thumbs up:

Greg
Please don't post anymore about smokeless.
If I buy anymore Ill have to see if I can live with Pete.
Nice shooten

drummy said:
Greg
Please don't post anymore about smokeless.
If I buy anymore Ill have to see if I can live with Pete.
Nice shooten
Pete could use some company  :ss:   :lol!:

hawgslayer said:
:cheers: 
Good shooting buddy  :!:  :!: Enjoy your new adventure :Red tup: 

Ray............ :thumbs up:
Thanks Ray :)I am just thrilled with this setup......maybe even as much as you are with your side locks :):)

Greg that is some excellent shooting for the first try with the SML. Make sure you weight each charge like I told you. Great shooting. You should have your new RCBS CHARGE MASTER some time next week. Enjoy the gun and be safe.
Carlos

cvilorio said:
Greg that is some excellent shooting for the first try with the SML. Make sure you weight each charge like I told you. Great shooting. You should have your new RCBS CHARGE MASTER some time next week. Enjoy the gun and be safe.
Carlos
Thanks buddy! I just can't believe how accurate this thing is!! And for pushing a 250gr bullet at almost 2400fps, the recoil isn't bad either. I will weigh them. It will be much easier dispensing than trying to shake out the right amount!!

great shooting for a first timer! Just be careful and remember to not double load it!

FrontierGander said:
great shooting for a first timer! Just be careful and remember to not double load it!
You can count on that! Separate tubes for different charges. If I'm shooting both style M/L's then only one type of powder out at a time, just anything I can think of to help reduce the possibility of error.

FrontierGander said:
Does it matter which powder you pour down first?
It really does not matter, since I have done it both ways, but you want the faster burning powder first and them the slower burning. What this does is help light the main charge faster, and it actually reduces recoil and it increases velocity, and it helps with accuracy. I get more recoil out of a straight charge of 60 gr. of 4198, and less speed than a duplex of 10 gr. 4759 and 50 gr. of 4198, which gives me less recoil and more speed. The 4759 being the booster.
Greg did not mean to hijack your thread.
Carlos

Back