PRIMER SITUATION

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhawker

Reaction score
I noticed at grafs site there is still a problem getting primers. 209's, large rifle... they dont have any!! Also noticed many smokeless powders out of stock. I talked to a rep at Federal a few months back and they assured me things would be caught up by Sept. I personally have my own supply of what I need..but it is scary to see the "out of stock" all over the place. Everybody still in the hoarding mode it seems.

When I talked to a person at Graf's back a few months, he was telling me how much powder, and bullets they shipped out there for a while. I think the stock pile some people have would be most impressive.

cayuga said:
When I talked to a person at Graf's back a few months, he was telling me how much powder, and bullets they shipped out there for a while. I think the stock pile some people have would be most impressive.

I fear it may be contagious. :lol:

My local wal mart has a bunch of winchester 209 primers with the ammo and 777 primers with the muzzy stuff

cayuga said:

I have 4000 rounds of 22 lr and 1000 .17 hmr but thats it , NOTHING compared to some people i have seen . :roll: Besides my Encore and Shot gun , those are the only guns i have . Ruger MKIII hunter and Marlin .17 hmr . But since i started using the .25 acp conversion i snagged 1000 small rifle primers.

Primer shortage

You think it's tough down there...try here in Canada! I have subscribed to the hoarding mentality - picking up a box of whatever is available. Small rifle primers are the hardest to get a hold off. I'm flush now. but always on the lookout.

I did spend some time in BPS Las Vegas, and I did note that their powder / primer selection was limited - except for those IMR white hots ML propellant sub's.

Hakx

Just talked to the guy at powder valley. He said federal is telling him now
they are looking at late 2010 before the primers are caught up. :roll:

I went to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Columbia Saturday and they were completely out. The gentleman I spoke to said they were getting a shipment in on Monday. Which sucked because that's primarily the reason I went up there... :cry:

SWThomas said:
I went to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Columbia Saturday and they were completely out. The gentleman I spoke to said they were getting a shipment in on Monday. Which sucked because that's primarily the reason I went up there... :cry:

Not to beat a horse to death..but I have not seen anything like this.
A lot of the Hodgdon powders (smokeless) are getting harder to find in stock also.

I heard this theory:

The ammo companies will not add more capacity because they don't want to be caught with too much overhead when Obama decides to make his move. The general shooting public is also petrified over possibilities of what the administration may have in mind, so they hoard all they can lay their hands on. Add in the fact that many merchants, who may not normally even stock this stuff, see the opportunities just speculating (gunbroker) in the new found market.

...maybe...I guess,
mcrik

I have yet to see a problem getting 209's. throughout the drought when you couldn't find any large rifle etc there were 209's everywhere

john keyes said:
I have yet to see a problem getting 209's. throughout the drought when you couldn't find any large rifle etc there were 209's everywhere

I have been wanting some more federal 209's..cant find them..do you know of any?

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you
I just bought a thou W209's a while back

sabotloader said:
squirrelhawker

Federal has a HUGE contract suppling the military...

yes, a guy at powder valley was going on the other day about all the backordered primers. (phone conv.) He mentioned that (military) and the demand
for ammo by civilians...the component markets get any leftovers..which is little to none.

I love the federal 210 for large rifle

it doesn't help when people buy some rediculous amount

and I don't think a case or two of 5000 is "ridiculous"

the quantities that some people were buying really got out of hand.

so let em choke on em

Latest posts

Back