Fine tuing my .54 PRB shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier this year I had Mr. Hoyt make me a 32" .54 caliber flintlock barrel for my curly maple stock. I previously sighted it in but was concerned that the rear sight was too high so I took the front sight off and installed a lower one.
I took a guess and lowered the rear sight. My first shot at 25 yards hit the lower half of the bull using a 6:00 hold. After applying an orange sticky target dot I moved the target out to 50 yards and shot 3 more. These impacted about 2" above the 3" bull using the same 6 O'clock hold but grouped nicely shooting about as fast as I could load.
I lowered the rear sight some more and after letting the barrel cool took 3 more shots allowing a couple mins between each shot and swabbing with one wet and 2 dry patches. These 3 printed inside an inch with shots <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> and <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> almost in the same hole. I was using a .530" ball and .018" pillow tick patch and Frontier Anti-rust lube pushed by 100 gr of Goex FFg powder.
That one hole with the tape over it was caused by trying another lube with everything else the same. Hard to believe a patch lube could make that much difference!! But in all honesty, Jon's Frontier Anti-rust and Patch Lube although make the patches a little stiff in the cooler weather, going down the bore it felt as slick as snot on the door knob. The other lube took sufficiently more pressure even though the patch wasn't as stiff.

here you go Clem! Excellent shooting with that new barrel!
33059d1480189368-hoyt-54-custom-barrel-dscn0844.jpg

Thanks Jon. The only thing about this now is I have two .50s, this .54 and a .58 that are superb shooters. It makes for a tough decision which to shoot when I go to the range or hunting with one. I guess that's a nice problem to have huh?

I know that feeling. I took the Mountain  Rifle last year but the extra weight started to get to my shoulders. Not cool hunting with numb hands!

Take what you are most comfortable with. Heck, take 2-3 rifles and swap out every other day, that's keeps it real fun!

Latest posts

Back