First time with my Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heiner39

Reaction score
I FINALLY got to take my new Omega out to the range. It's was the first time I have every shot a muzzleloader and it was a lot of fun. I've had it sitting in the safe for about three weeks and just haven't had the time to get out and try it...I changed that today.

I was shooting 250 grain Hornady SST low-drag projectiles on top of 2 Triple 7 pellets (50/50) and Cheddite 209 primer at 100 yards. The first shot was a bit high and right so I made an adjustment and came up with shot number two. I made yet another adjustment and shots three, four and five grouped in there fairly nice. Shot number six was totally my fault....it was a bad trigger pull and I new it the second the round left the gun.

Overall I'm quite happy with my Omega. It was fun to shoot and I can't wait to shoot a bit more before I head to the woods to try to find a big Saskatchewan whitetail!!

Thanks to this site I found my first experience to be quite a pleasurable one. I've learned lots of good tips from here and can't wait to pick up as much info as I can with my new addiction!!!

Here's my target...
IMG_2505.jpg
[/img]

Thanks I was pretty happy with it. It's not the accuracy I get with my '06 but for my first time shooting a muzzy I'll take it.

For the first time out without working up a load I would be very pleased!

How were the low drag sabots in your omega? In mine, they are way too loose, and I got better accuracy with the regular sabots.

They were super snug in the Omega. I swabbed the barrel between every shot and they still fit very nice and tight. I'm happy with them. I think I'll be using them for my whitetail hunt this fall.

I tried the Shockwaves that came with my gun and had decent success with them too. I used the freebies to get the round on paper then switched to the Hornadys to fine tune.

A Suggestion or two
Try a package of standard black sabots a lot of us find they fit the barrel better tighter often groups better up to a point.
TC barrels do better after break in, to speed up break in a couple packages of FPB hollow base conicalsand pracyice with them till you use them up would help. Lee

They were about the same for loading pressure. I think the Hornady's were a bit tighter but they were close. They weren't bad. I just used them to get me on paper. The grouped alright tho once I hit paper. I was on with the first shot so it gave me a chance to play a bit at 25 yards before switching and moving out to 100.

Back