Final sight in!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Had to resight my rifle in due to swapping out rear sights due to track of the wolf taking so long to get me my order in, but everything is freakin awesome! I saw the first shot, but after the second, I couldnt make it out with my 8x32 binos so I walked down and went crazy. I didn't bother with the 3rd shot! I was just pumped up over those 2 shots! Under 5/8" at 100 yards.

80gr 2fg gearhart owen, .490 , .020 patches. Under 5/8 inch!! Final sight in is done!
69177710.jpg

I'd say it likes that load.  Was the first shot the clean bore shot?  Perfect for hunting if so.

That’s what we are looking for right there!! :Red tup: It feels good to turn those kind of Groups out huh? 

My dad was funny yesterday, His Renegade LOVES a Bullet (My Lyman Plains Bullet) But it did NOT care for Patched Roundball at all? His Barrel is just a Stock TC Renegade .54 Cal 1:48 Twist, At least it didn’t like the Combinations we had yesterday. BUT on the other Hand, my New Lyman .54 Cal Roundball Barrel for my Great Plains Rifle Shot STELLAR, Dad was watching the Little Gong Through Binos, after my 3rd Shot, Dad said DAMN! That thing Sure likes a Roundball :D I asked him where they were hitting? He said on Top of Eachother :D This .54 PRB has some SERIOUS SLAM on my Gong, 80-90 Grains of Powder Sends these 225 Grain Balls down the Alley in a Hurry, with some SERIOUS Authority when they Hit Steel!

Yep, first shot on a clean bore was the highest. After those 2 I figured, 1 or 3 more shots didn't mean jack squat in a hunting situation lol.

Oh yeah lewis, at rendezvous we have a large gong set up to shoot and you hit that sucker with 90gr 2fg and it sends a spine chilling ring throughout the valley.

Ahhhhh now we just gotta get you fit for some buckskins!

Idaholewis said:
That’s what we are looking for right there!! :Red tup: It feels good to turn those kind of Groups out huh? 

My dad was funny yesterday, His Renegade LOVES a Bullet (My Lyman Plains Bullet) But it did NOT care for Patched Roundball at all? His Barrel is just a Stock TC Renegade .54 Cal 1:48 Twist, At least it didn’t like the Combinations we had yesterday. BUT on the other Hand, my New Lyman .54 Cal Roundball Barrel for my Great Plains Rifle Shot STELLAR, Dad was watching the Little Gong Through Binos, after my 3rd Shot, Dad said DAMN! That thing Sure likes a Roundball :D I asked him where they were hitting? He said on Top of Eachother :D This .54 PRB has some SERIOUS SLAM on my Gong, 80-90 Grains of Powder Sends these 225 Grain Balls down the Alley in a Hurry, with some SERIOUS Authority when they Hit Steel!

My .54 renegade is very picky about RB as well, it took a lot of playing and I'm still not getting as small of groups as I'd like.
Mine likes a tight fitting patch, I'm using .18" pillow ticking.  It also is very picky about lube.  The best groups for mine are with a Dutch Schultz type of "dry" lube.  6 parts denatured alcohol to 1 part Castor oil is what I'm currently using, it cut my groups in half when I went to it.  I shake the mixture really well, dip  patches in it, and then set them on a screen so the DA evaporates off and just leaves a bit of the CO on the patch.  You might try just barely putting any of the Frontier lube on a patch and see how it does.
I recently switched to 3f for RB, the charge mine likes best is 80 grains.  For 2f somewhere around 75 grains wasn't too bad in mine.  Oh, and of all things mine didn't do too bad with a simple store bought prelubed patch, I think they were TC natural lube 1000 in .015" if I remember right.

Latest posts

Back