Side Lock ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Think about getting a .50cal TC side lock and selling my SS Encore . Just think my Encore is too modern . When i shot bows until a few years ago , i used long bows and re -curve bows from jim brackenbury and Wes Wallace . Just feel like taking a step backwards again !!

How hard are they to clean ?? Any Advise there !!

What powder ??

What would you use in it for Elk . Mini ball , Grain ??

I will be hunting in the snow , so will it fire when i need it to ?? How do you weather wise one so i know it will ??

Thanks -
RobK

not hard to clean at all.

I prefer the lyman great plains over TC but thats just me. Lyman fits better and seems to kick less.

What type of projectile do you plan on shooting? For me i like round balls and conicals, which means i normally buy rifles with 1:48 or even 1:32 twist.

My brother will be hunting elk this year with his cva hawken .50cal with the 348gr powerbelt and im thinking around 80gr pyrodex rs as hes really recoil sensitive.

frontier gander said:
not hard to clean at all.

I prefer the lyman great plains over TC but thats just me. Lyman fits better and seems to kick less.

What type of projectile do you plan on shooting? For me i like round balls and conicals, which means i normally buy rifles with 1:48 or even 1:32 twist.

My brother will be hunting elk this year with his cva hawken .50cal with the 348gr powerbelt and im thinking around 80gr pyrodex rs as hes really recoil sensitive.

Someone once told me to use a rubber tube on the nipple and put it in a bucket of VERY hot soapy water . then use a ramrod with a damp patch and work it up and down the barrel , it will draw the soay water in to the barrel through the nipple . Is that true or a good way ??

yes and no. I prefer to pull out the barrel and soak it in a hot bucket of water so the fouling in the breech plug area loosens up and then i use a patch on my ramrod and pump the hot soapy water through.

Its just better to take a couple longer routes and clean it properly.

frontier gander said:
yes and no. I prefer to pull out the barrel and soak it in a hot bucket of water so the fouling in the breech plug area loosens up and then i use a patch on my ramrod and pump the hot soapy water through.

Its just better to take a couple longer routes and clean it properly.

Got the PM and that looks like a VERY good way to clean it .

On my Kentucky rifle I use the tube and bucket of water method. But the stock is pinned on it and a pain to take the barrel off every time I clean it. The tube works well, you just have to watch or it will draw the water up and out the top of the barrel. On the Hawken style with the wedges I do take the barrel off.

Think about getting a .50cal TC side lock and selling my SS Encore . Just think my Encore is too modern . When i shot bows until a few years ago , i used long bows and re -curve bows from jim brackenbury and Wes Wallace . Just feel like taking a step backwards again !!

How hard are they to clean ?? Any Advise there !! The traditional rifles are no more harder to clean then a modern rifle. And depending on the kind of rifle you purchase, that will determine the way it is cleaned. Most of the Thompson Centers, and Lymans are hooked breech. They can be cleaned in a bucket of water. The other rifles like the Traditions Kentucky, Shenandoah, and some of the Pedersolli are pinned barrels and must be cleaned with an flush kit. That flush kit is a tube over a nipple that is used to pump water through the bore. Nothing says, you can not patch a barrel clean with Windex, solvent, even soap and water.

What powder ?? Again, the kind of powder depends on the rifle. Flintlocks must have black powder IMO to get the most out of them. With black powder there are different brands. Some like Goex, Swiss, Graf's & Sons, and other brands and grades of black powder. I personally shoot a lot of Graf's & Sons powder. Cap lock rifles like a Hawkins can shoot most of the modern powders as long as they are not in pellet form. Now I have traditional rifles that can shoot modern pellets as well. The only powder not recommend is the Black Horn powder.

What would you use in it for Elk . Mini ball , Grain ?? Elk, I personally would want either a conical or a large bore roundball shooter. If I were going to shoot roundball, it would be a .54 caliber or bigger. With conicals, a .50 caliber conicals shooting rifle would work fine. If you want to shoot conical, look for a rifle with a 1-32 twist or faster. AS for grain of powder 2f. As for the amount, as much as I can get in there and still be accurate. Some traditional looking rifles will shoot sabots as well. One traditional rifle I own called a Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum would be perfect for what you want. It will shoot sabots and conicals and any kind of powder other then black horn that you want to shoot.

I will be hunting in the snow , so will it fire when i need it to ?? How do you weather wise one so i know it will ?? There is this rumor out there that has muzzleloader hunters believing that traditional rifles do not shoot in snow, rain, ice, and cold. That is all hog wash. I have a traditional rifle I once dropped in a creek. It still went off. It is all in how you prepare the rifle, load the rifle, and weather proof the rifle. All of this can be done, and when the time comes, the rifle will go off like a sunny spring day.

Thanks -
RobK

Speaking of a flush kit, a piece of tubing for a fish tank airline works just fine. It fits right on the nipple. The only flintlock I've had was a T/C hawken and I would remove the barrel. You would probably need an adapter of some sort to use with a pinned barrel flintlock.

Back