Fighting the Triple 7 crud ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Fighting the Triple 7 crud ring

Yesterday I wanted to go out and shoot my X-150 now that I have sabots and 300gr xtp's. I first grabbed the Black MZ and then thought.. I have some T7 I need to burn up and get rid of.

Boy was that was big mistake! I should have stopped after the second one because that one already was a ***** to get down. But no, I went ahead and loaded <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> and turned red faced and light headed trying to get that sucker seated. I got it but as I pulled the range rod out, I noticed my rotating seating jag was half gone.

Lesson learned! Swab between shots with T7 and keep ANY plastic loading jag where it belongs... The trash. Luckily all I had to do was point the barrel down and beat on the recoil pad for all the pieces to fall out. I've replaced that jag with a solid brass loading ( non rotating ) jag.
100_3019.jpg

Look at all that crap after a few shots! Actually after ONE shot it was almost impossible to reload.
snapsh12.jpg

snapsh10.jpg

snapsh11.jpg

Re: Fighting the Triple 7 crud ring

i would use the stuff if it wasnt for the crud ring. it is a accurate powder but not worth all the bother.

I agree Guy’s, i found the Same exact thing with T7, Lot of guy’s over on Modernmuzzleloader use and Swear by the Stuff, i ended up buying a can of it in 3F to try. Accuracy was Very good, But the Crud Ring was AWFUL, i pretty much had to Bulldoze my way through the Crud Ring With my Range Rod Swabbing Between shots for consistency, Sure glad i had my Range Rod this day, i would of had a ROUGH time with my Gun Rod! I didn’t even try to Reload a Fouled Bore without Swabbing, After dealing with the Crud ring on the Very first Shot i was Skeptical about getting a reload through it? It is a Shame, Accuracy seemed to be on Par with my Swiss. T7 is very energetic Powder, The guy’s on Modernmuzzleloader that use, and have Tested it a Bunch Say that Velocity is right on with Swiss powder.

Another thing, i Thought T7 was Expensive for a Substitute, Close to 30 dollars with Tax, Which is the Same, or even a Dollar or 2 more than i Pay for Swiss Real Black. I am very fortunate to have Buffalo Arms 30 minutes from me, I can get Goex, Schutzen, and Swiss in any Grade, anytime i want it.

I recently tried Goex Olde E 2F, i wanted to Run an accuracy test between it and My Swiss, There was NO Comparison, Swiss beat it hands Down! There is a Good reason the Majority of our World Level Competitive Shooters use Swiss Powder, Many of them have tried Goex Olde E, But couldn’t get the level of Accuracy from it as they get from Swiss. Look at a BPCR Score card that lists Shooters loads, You will find 95% or more shoot Swiss, with VERY few Goex Shooters, The few Goex Olde E Shooters you do see will be on the Bottom of the Score Card. If i knew someone Close by i would Gladly give them this New Can of Goex Olde E! No more Goex for me. From here on my Rifles will see Swiss Powder ONLY

So with the Crud ring, are you using pellets or loose powder?
I have been running Triple Seven in loose powder since it first came out and have never experienced
a crud ring, I get at least 8 loading's or more without swabbing.
However, I do know of a few people that have a loading issue running the pellets,
Especially if it is damp outside.

Loose powder. Triple 7 with a sealed up ignition system and 209 primers is crud ring city. Its so bad that you literally need to swab between shots with normally takes 2 patches in order to fully remove the baked on crud.

Pellets are just as bad with this. Something about that powder that just makes it irritating to use unless you are willing to deal with the maintenance.

Just another reason for me not to like inline's.
Never an issue with my side lock's.

Not not an issue with the sidelocks other than hang fires occasionally.

Few years ago i tried Triple Seven in my TC Black Diamond. Waiting 5-10 minutes between shots, the use of <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps, moderate charges, the use of synthetic lube and loading on a squeaky clean bore greatly reduced the crud ring. It was possible to shoot five or six shots without swabbing.

Triple Seven is a very hot burning powder. The gun heats up very quickly. The heat melts the residue and kind of plates it on the bore.

I have shot triple for many years and never had a crude ring in any ml,but I do not shoot 209 primers,do yall think that is difference. To hot and to much press combined? Laney

I wont say what Im thinkin cause you guys would just beat me up and kick me to the curb

I use t7 in my inline, wipe between shots (hunting) and accuracy has been fine. Never worried about number of shots without swabbing.....just never thought it was a big deal. I stopped using it in my flinter because it requires more heat to ignite and slows my ignition while hunting.
All black powder for me anymore.

hey guys was reading about your crud ring problem with T7. i have been shooting smokeless muzzleloaders for a while and in trying T7 in those it really developed crud rings. i shoot white muzzleloaders now and my super 91 .410 loves T7 but really develops a crud ring that will lock up the breech plug!! fix?? wrap the breech plug threads with plumbers teflon tape and put a small bead of grease in the breech plug face out by the threads-no more seized breech plug. have shot over 60 shots and no problems getting it out. oh white muzzleloaders never are hard to load big lead bullets, i suppose they might get tough to with saboted bullets but i never shoot them in mine.
SB

Hey all, I've found this thread to be interesting. NEW GUY here so have a question...

I bought a pound of Triple 7 and haven't gotten to the range to try it yet (new Pedersoli .54 Hawken on the way via UPS). I'm learning more and more every day on the forums here. Black powder is hard to find, so starting with Triple 7. I'm going to start with .530" PRB and .015" pre-lubed TC patches for now.

Am I going to have trouble with this crud ring issue with PRB and modest charges of Triple 7? If so what do you suggest I do to minimize it as I go? Swabbing every shot? If so what do you swab with?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You won’t have a crud ring issue in your Hawken because you’re using #11 caps and not the 209 primers. Just make sure you get the powder under the cap the best you can while loading. I find that the 3f 777 works best for this, it seems to flow better.

Thank you for the response. I didn't catch that this was unique to the inline ML rifles using 209 primers.

You won’t have a crud ring issue in your Hawken because you’re using #11 caps and not the 209 primers. Just make sure you get the powder under the cap the best you can while loading. I find that the 3f 777 works best for this, it seems to flow better.

Back