cleaning habbits

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwooddan

Reaction score
Was curious what everyone does. I realize these are generic questions depending on type of powder used and maybe even projetile, so lets say in general.

How many shots do you get off before haveing to clean/swab?

How do you clean between shots? tell me the procedure that works best for you

How do you clean before putting away? (for the season)

Thought i read one or two older threads that referred to using Windex? can't remember why or wasn't explained enough for me.

Looking for general preventive maintance kind of stuff so when i get the Hawkens out i'm prepared for shooting that day and putting back better than i found her.

thanks

When I clean a traditional rifle it is almost always done in steps so I will list it that way I do it. Other people have different methods. The main thing is get the rifle clean....

Traditional rifles

1. Insure that the rifle you are about to clean is UNLOADED!! I can not stress the importance of this. I had an incident where a friend claimed he could not get his rifle clean. When I checked it, it was loaded. So if you did not hear that rifle go off and know 100% that the rifle is unloaded, check it. Put the ramrod in the barrel. The ramrod will all but disappear in an unloaded rifle. If you cock the hammer, and push a wet patch down a rifle, normally you will hear air escape through the nipple. This also is an indication that there is not a load in the rifle.

2. Cock the hammer to the half cock position. Now knock the wedge pin(s) out of the stock to release the barrel. And remove the barrel from the rifle. This is a good time to wipe all the fowling off the outside of the barrel with Windex or some other kind of cleaner, and a cloth in the nipple/bolster breech area of the barrel. It is not necessary to remove the nipple from the rifle just yet.

Some rifles are not held together with a wedge pin hooked breech design. For these you need a flush kit. The flush kit is a nipple that goes in place of the nipple of vent hole liner of your rifle. Off that nipple is a tube that is then placed into a bucket of water so water can be moved through the barrel.

3. Have your water source ready. I use a plastic coffee can as they do not rust. I fill that ? of the way to the top with VERY HOT (some people do not use hot water, but use cold instead. Its all a matter of preference I guess) water and then give it a squirt of your favorite dish soap, or cleaning product that will be water soluble. Now immerse the breech end of the rifle barrel under that water level so the nipple is covered. Dip a cloth patch of appropriate size into the water to saturate it. And with a tight fitting cleaning jag, work that wet patch down the bore of the rifle in short strokes. Working to the bottom or breech of the barrel. Bring the patch back up and out of the barrel. Work that down the barrel a few times to pump water in and out of the barrel. If you look in the bucket you will notice the small ripples in the water and the water in the barrel is forced out.

4. Lift the barrel out of the water and let the water run out the nipple of the barrel, and if you can, or want to, remove the bolster clean out screw do so. You have actually cleaned the fowling now out of the nipple since you left it in for the first of the water patches. Now remove the nipple out of the barrel.

5. Repeat this step #3 with a second and third patch. NO MATTER HOW CLEAN THEY LOOK. You should also note that with the removal of the nipple and in some cases the bolster clean out screw, an increased of volume water is moving out the openings and you pump those other patches through. This is cleaning out the bolster for you.

6. Now pull the barrel and make sure all the water has drained out of the barrel as possible. I now like to dip a fussy pipe cleaner in solvent and push that into and past the nipple port threads as deep as I can get it to go into the breech. Then work that back and fourth to insure that there is no fowling in that area of the rifle. If the bolster clean out screw is out, do the same thing with the pipe cleaner in that area. You should be able to force that pipe cleaner all the way into the breech. Simply check the depth you have moved that pipe cleaner into the breech and then hold that against the outside of the barrel. It might surprise you how deep you have moved into that area.

7. With a strong solvent patch, I now like to swab the bore of the rifle. Pay special attention to the breech area. Turn the tight fitting patch in a clockwise direction a few times, being careful not to unscrew the jag head. Some rifles have a cone shaped breech design. It may be necessary to put a breech/cone scraper attachment on the ramrod and reach in there and physically scrape that cone clean. Often times this can be done with a 30 caliber cleaning brush on your favorite rifle ramrod. All you want to do is clean that cone. Normally it is clean.

8. Another strong solvent swab is now worked down the barrel. Pay attention to any signs of fowling on that swab. If there is any, then another patch with solvent is put down. If the patch comes out clean (as normally they do) put some isopropyl alcohol on a patch and swab the bore. The alcohol will help displace the moisture in the barrel.

9. If you have access to a air compressor, I like to blow forced air through the nipple port and bolster clean out screw area. This helps dry it.

10. Now start to dry patch the bore of the rifle. Do not stop until you can check that patch and note there is no moisture on it. Also the patch should show no signs of fowling.

11. Swab the bore of your rifle now with a patch saturated with your favorite gun oil. You want a good coat on that. Set the barrel off to the side, to cool. As it cools it will draw the oils into the pores of the metal.

12. Now is when I clean the lock. Check the nose of the hammer for old caps. Remove any stuck cap pieces from the nose of the hammer. Fill that with solvent and let it sit a few seconds. Now with Q-tips wipe its nose. Keep cleaning until the nose of the thing is clean. The Q-tip will show this.

13. Solvent a patch and slide that behind the hammer and clean all the lock area you can get to. Pay special attention to the inside of the bolster where the nipple goes back to. Make sure that is nice and clean.
14. Wipe out the stock of the rifle.

15. Wipe down the outside of the rifle with the oil patch you used to swab the bore. Pay special attention to the bottom of the barrel. People often forget this area only to find rust at a later time.

16. Replace the nipple and bolster clean out screw. I like to put a dab of anti seize on the threads of the nipple. It helps them come out better next time. Wipe your finger prints off the barrel and replace it in your stock. Now while gripping only the stock put the rifle away. Your rifle is clean.

Cleaning between shots is done when you feel the rifle is needing it. Is the accuracy starting to slip? Are the projectiles starting to feel like they are being harder to load? When I swab a traditional rifle, I use pure 91% isopropyl alcohol. Some people use Windex. I lightly dampen a cotton patch. Then start swabbing the barrel in short strokes. I like to swab 2-3 inches at a time. Don't move on until you feel the part your are doing is clean. Then move down the barrel to the breech and back up. After that I like to use a couple dry patches to make sure the breech is clear and dry. After that if you doubt your job, pop a cap. Otherwise load up.

How do you clean before putting away? (for the season)

the same way I clean it if I were going to store it for three days.. like above. I use a quality gun oil to protect the bore and then swab that oil out of the bore with alcohol before I shoot next.

How many shots do you get off before haveing to clean/swab?

That depends on the powder you shoot, the temperatures, humidity, and even the rifle a little. I've shot all day using some powders like black powder or Pyrodex. Other days I might get three shots.. All depends on other things. You will feel when it is time to swab.

Here's my personal "step-by-step".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cleaning A Sidelock Muzzle Loader

Here?s my method for cleaning my sidelocks at the end of a range session or after a hunt in which I have fired the gun.

- remove the barrel from the stock,
- remove the nipple from the barrel (or the touch hole liner on a flintlock),
- put a cleaning jag on the ramrod (a range rod is better if you have one),
- put a patch on the cleaning jag,
- stick the breech end of the barrel in a bucket of water (I use a half-gallon plastic bleach jug with the top cut off),
- stick the patched cleaning jag into the muzzle,
- with the breech submerged, pump the rod down and up the full length of the bore a half dozen times (water will come out a little at the muzzle),
- pull the rod out,
- remove barrel from bucket,
- squirt a little liquid dish washing detergent down the bore,
- put a fresh patch on the cleaning jag,
- put the patched jag back in the muzzle and pump the bore a few times with the barrel outside of the bucket,
- put the breech end back in the bucket and pump it another half dozen times submerged,
- remove barrel from bucket,
- replace the patch on the cleaning jag with a new one,
- put clean water in the pail,
- put the breech end back in the bucket and pump it another half dozen times in clean water,
- remove barrel from pail and dry bore well with clean patches,
- oil as you would any gun bore (but make sure the bore is totally dry before oiling).
- be sure to wipe out the oil with a couple of clean dry patches before loading again.

Something you should know: Most barrels (all Thompson Center and Lyman barrels) have a "patent breech" in the breech plug, which is a chamber that is smaller than bore size. Your regular cleaning jag will not get into this area. It looks like this.

NocksPatentBreech.jpg

To clean/dry that area, I use a thirty-six inch 1/4" wood dowel with a slot cut in one end with a hacksaw blade and rounded off. Put a 3/4" square of patch material in the slot. Stick it down into the patent breech with a twisting motion as you put it in and pull it out. (No, it won't come off and get stuck down there. At least it never has for me in hundreds of uses.) Some guys use a patch-wrapped .36 caliber brass or nylon brush on the ramrod for this.

It's a real good idea to wipe that area with a clean dry patch to remove any possible oil accumulation before loading. It?s also a good idea to wipe that area every dozen shots or so in a long range session. If you do that, pop a cap before loading in case the wiping pushed crud into the channel to the nipple.

BreechPlugCleaner.jpg

I always begin a hunt with a bore that has been cleaned in this way ? making sure to dry patch the bore and patent breech to remove any oil. I load on that clean, dry bore (and sight in for a clean bore). I don?t foul the barrel or pop a cap before loading. I have never had a failure to fire in a hunting situation, even with guns that have been loaded for two months.

About The Lock: I have two approaches, depending on the situation. With a caplock - after a multi-shot range session I take the lock off, scrub it down inside and out with soapy water and a tooth brush, rinse it with clean water, then dry and oil it. After a one-shot hunting situation, I usually leave it mounted on the stock and just wipe it down with an alcohol patch, followed by an oily patch. Pay particular attention to the inside of the cup on the face of the hammer (Q-Tips are real handy for cleaning that area). With my flintlock, I always take the lock off and give it a good cleaning and oiling, even after only one shot (after the hunt, of course).

Cayuga and Semisane covered cleaning and storing pretty well. Before I load the rifle, I dry the barrel with a couple of clean patches and fire a couple of caps to make sure the breech is dry. Make sure you get the patent breech area dry as well or the gun may not fire. I always swab between every shot. First a patch dampened slightly with blackpowder solvent or windex, one pass with each side of the patch, followed by a dry patch same way. This accomplishes several things. First, I hunt with a clean barrel, therefore I want my groups to be as close to where they will be on the first shot as possible. Also, it slows my shooting pace down allowing the barrel to cool slightly, resulting in tighter groups and making sure there are no left over sparks to ignite the next charge.

Latest posts

Back