STRIPER LIMIT IN ONE HOUR!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Had off today and slept in cause knew Conowingo Hyro didnt have turbines scheduled to run till 2 PM today. :lol: With low water conditions the stripers aint active till some decent water flow.

I launched at 1 PM. Had some nice 12" live eels, large live shiners and some whole herring I planned to put a rod out for catfish with.

I put a rod out with fish finder rig and Gamatsu 5/0 live bait hook with eel, one rod with a live shiner on and my catfish rod with cut herring. I had all angles covered!!! Proped my feet up and and within 10 minutes the click alarm sounded on my cat rod...Man BIG CAT (I thought) !!! I set the hook and WOW what a battle, drag spinnin and thought this aint no cat...too fast. Well got fish to boat and STRIPER!!! Netted and measured ... 24.5" (legal size is 18"). Great eatin size fish.

I baited up again with a large strip of cut herring with guts etc hangin on. :lol: Flipped out about 15 yds and set rod down to check my Striper eel & shiner rod...nothing . About 20 minutes the click alarm sounded again on the Catfish Rod!!! Its a Penn 930 and click alarm puts out one sweet sound. I set hook and fought fish into the boat and netted. Another Legal Striper!!! About 22". I was done...had my 2 fish limit!

Man, these Stripers within 18-28 inches are some of the best eatin around. We can keep 2 18-28 or 1 18-28 & one over 28".

Sorta funny, when i launched there were 3 guys just pullin there boat out at ramp and i asked how they were hittin and they said nothing...fished all morning. Key in fishin this stretch of the lower Susquehanna and Upper Cheasapeke Bay is determined when the Hydro Plant runs at least 2 or more turbines.

Tip Of The Day: If fishin with Live Eels, lay them on a bed of ice...they become lethargic and very easy to handle. When they hit the water eel become really active again. I have a white 5 gal bucket with a grate in and lay ice on it and eel on top of ice. This way they stay out of the cold water which can kill them.

Diner Tonite:

DSCF0169.jpg

:D Thanks Dwight.

I think I caught more Stripers on cut herring/menhaden this Season than anything else. When I used to fish the Mid-Chesapeake bay cut bait was the ticket when Chumming plus the Pro Charter Capts also chum this time of year. I aint chumming but must be the bait's smell drawin them in.

Man, I could go fishin every day...work just keeps gettin in the way. :lol:

Great Job Loggy :!: I'm going out tomorrow see if can find a few flounders for the frying pan. I'll post a report when I get back. Have a great weekend everybody :!: :!: :!:
PS where's them white boots?????

:D Thanks Jim. I had my favorite White Boots on all day but when pullin my boat out at ramp there was a lot of current/wind and ended up gettin a wet ass & me boots filled up with water. They are now drying. :lol:

Best of luck flounder fishing!

ONE WEEK LATER.....Today I fished about 6 hours and one throw back striper. Had one hard strike on a live eel but it hit and dropped...didnt run.

Very little water flow out of Conowingo Hyro Plant. River conditions are extremely low for 7/1. We need rain or by August river will be a rock bed.

:D Still a great day out.

June 29 MD DNR REPORT:

"Upper Bay Region:

Fishermen in the lower Susquehanna and actually the fish that reside there also; have been dealing with low flows coming out of the Conowingo Dam now for several weeks. The lack of rainfall and the hot weather has the Dam releases at a minimum. If one checks the release schedule you can see releases are limited to late in the day, probably to meet electrical generation demands. The striped bass seem to be laying low or have left for cooler waters farther down the bay...".

I may have to head South! :lol:

Back