FEDERAL FireSticks and TRADITIONS NitroFires

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have seen of this new gun it is not going to be legal to hunt with in many states that require the projectile and the powder be loaded from the muzzle. Personally, I have no use for in-line muzzle loaders, but that is just me. I'm old fashioned, and was taught to get close to my game for a killing shot, and not to blast away at long range where there is a change of wounding the game. Give me a good shooting flint lock for my muzzle loading hunting.

I'm sure many will go flying off the handle by my response, but that is my opinion, you are welcome to yours.

It will never be legal in Colorado.

It's getting too far from what a muzzleloader should be.

The only thing I am hoping for is that the game commissions will start to see that muzzle loading guns are becoming more like rifles, just with one shot. Maybe they will relagate modern in-line muzzle loaders to the rifle season, and make the muzzle loading season a "Primitive firearms" season using side locks, iron sights, and patched round balls only.

It will never be legal in Colorado.

It's getting too far from what a muzzleloader should be.

You maybe able to use it with one of the DOW Special Permits (probably one time which isn't worth what the gun costs). Then if your using one of the permits the time and place is up to the DOW as they will go along !@#$%^ :(

buck conner.jpg

The only thing I am hoping for is that the game commissions will start to see that muzzle loading guns are becoming more like rifles, just with one shot. Maybe they will relagate modern in-line muzzle loaders to the rifle season, and make the muzzle loading season a "Primitive firearms" season using side locks, iron sights, and patched round balls only.

Never happen. They actually banned inlines for one year. They got so much flak they won't touch the muzzleloader season now.

You can shoot any muzzleloader now with any powder, bullet, and a scope if you want to. You just have to do it in rifle seasons.

Never happen. They actually banned inlines for one year. They got so much flak they won't touch the muzzleloader season now.

I was President of the Colorado State Muzzleloading Association - Welcome | Colorado State Muzzleloading Association | CSMLA.net - we were involved in the in-line issues at the time putting pressure on the DOW (not wanting them in the traditional primitive season). We were successful for one year then Strum Ruger Company throw a large sum of money at the DOW and the new ruling went out the window, its all about $$$ bucks. These State Departments have more ways than one would believe to do as they want. :(

buck conner.jpg

I also heard they thought about banning BH 209 but thought better of trying it.

Unfortunately the trend seems to be going the other way in most western states. Allowing more & more technology in muzzleloader season. In my opinion if there gonna allow scopes & sabots like they do in Utah there’s really no reason for a separate muzzleloader season. I’m sure some would disagree.

Like I posted, I would like to see a separate "Primitive Weapons" hunting season. It would include long & recurve bows, and traditional muzzle loaders (side locks) using loose powder, iron sights, and patched round ball as a projectile. In my state, CT, I would like to see this proposed season be in the early fall before the rifle/shotgun seasons start, so the deer are not already spooky.

Missouri also sucks . We have what is valled an Alternative deer season.
Muzzle loaders but you can also have a.44 mag with you. Yea its all about the money. They should just extend the deer season and let you shoot anything. Missouri has no muzzle loader season. If you have no bullets for your mzldr.just shoot your ramrod, then they can put that in with the archery season.
Primitive only. Flintlocks,round balls and open sights.

From what I have seen of this new gun it is not going to be legal to hunt with in many states that require the projectile and the powder be loaded from the muzzle. Personally, I have no use for in-line muzzle loaders, but that is just me. I'm old fashioned, and was taught to get close to my game for a killing shot, and not to blast away at long range where there is a change of wounding the game. Give me a good shooting flint lock for my muzzle loading hunting.

I'm sure many will go flying off the handle by my response, but that is my opinion, you are welcome to yours.

I too believe in getting close to my game, especially during muzzle loader season, but some of you guys are super purists. There is nothing wrong with in line muzzle loaders, and it's still a one shot rifle. And the old fashioned muzzle loaders are one shot guns as well. That would be ridiculous to outlaw any modern muzzle loader, just because you prefer replicas of very old guns.

You folks on the coasts sure do like a lot of un-necessary gun laws!

From what I have seen of this new gun it is not going to be legal to hunt with in many states that require the projectile and the powder be loaded from the muzzle.
If it doesn't load from the muzzle, it is not a "muzzleloader".

Even an original Halls breech loading flintlock from 1819, or the earlier screw breech loading flintlocks, aren't legal for a "muzzleloading only" season. Not even if you loaded it from the muzzle, since it can be loaded from the breech.
All the various state regulations I've seen say a" muzzleloader" "... can only be loaded from the muzzle." One reason a C&B revolver isn't legal to use in ML season: it isn't loaded from the muzzle.

This Nitro Fire Stick thingy is not a muzzleloader. It is a semi-centerfire at the very least.
Lehigh actually has one coming out very similar. Only theirs is a Contender platform with brass case, not plastic.
I would never consider either of these rifles ''muzzleloaders''.
I stopped by the Traditions booth at the Great American Outdoor Show a few weeks back and got a first hand demonstration. The big selling point they were pushing was safety. I told them a centerfire rifle was a little bit safer and not much different than their new rifle.
I for one hope states do not accept these contraptions in their Muzzleloading seasons. Talking with the people at the Traditions booth. They seemed pretty confident more states than not will be allowing them during their ML seasons. I am sure they know something we don't or they would not have made such a large investment. I guess big money talks. What a shame.

Lots of interesting commentary.

For me, this new inline design is a classic example of things to come. You’re not going to please everyone. Unfortunately, for the purest at heart, technological advances will continue to infringe upon one's historic passion. I think we should all strike a compromise and simplify things to come into two hunting categories.

Have a scope-less Primitive Weapons Category: Selfbows, Longbows, Recurves, Crossbows/Compounds and Traditional Sidelocks ( sabotless only ). Then have a scoped Modern Weapons Category for Centerfires (including Handguns), Shotguns, Traditional (sabots allowed)/Inline Muzzleloaders and Compound/Crossbows. The Primitive folks could also hunt in the Modern Category hunting season.

Thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. If it doesn't load both the powder and the projectile from the muzzle, then I wouldn't consider it a "Muzzleloader"

I regulate myself Marty. Since i'm now going to use an inline with a scope. I'll only hunt the rifle seasons. So, i'm still at a disadvantage to those shooting CF rifles.

One of the advantages of doing that in my state is there are no muzzleloader restrictions when you use a muzzy in rifle season. So, I can use a sabot. I prefer the Barnes T-EZ 290 gr for bear than any muzzy bullet.

I regulate myself Marty. Since i'm now going to use an inline with a scope. I'll only hunt the rifle seasons. So, i'm still at a disadvantage to those shooting CF rifles.

One of the advantages of doing that in my state is there are no muzzleloader restrictions when you use a muzzy in rifle season. So, I can use a sabot. I prefer the Barnes T-EZ 290 gr for bear than any muzzy bullet.
I never considered a scoped inline to be a disadvantage over a centerfire...at least where I hunt.
I can't argue with using a scoped inline during muzzleloader season. I did it this year with success.

More range.
100% ignition
Back up shots
Hits harder with less recoil
Easy unloading

Are just a few Marty.

Back