Got out this morning...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Terry had some volunteer stuff to do - so what the heck thought it would be a good morning to jump out.

We are suppose to get hammered a bit today and the rest of the week and it was really nice this morning...just above freezing with a light rain fall last nigh - a bit of snow at the higher elevations. Then for the rest of the week it is just suppose to add up.

Decided to run out to one af my favorite white areas, a piece of State property (160 ac.) surrounded by small private... I am only buck hunting at this point, so I figured I was still a bit early for the rut - which I was - did not find any scrapes at all and in fact very little movement of any type this morning.

Not a 'Utah Rob' quality pic but this give you an idea of the lay of the land... You can see the ridge in the foreground has a bunch of red stem on it and is usually a good place to sit and watch.

IMG_0471.jpg

Through this picture in also... i had taken my gear off to get the landscape picture so I grabbed a picture of the rifle and pack. The thing I wanted to talk a little bit about is the scope. This is one of those less expensive Cabelas 3x10x40 Powder Horns. I have been using this all year as the gun was an October purchase and I put on it what i had available. But, I have been hunting with this oufit since Oct. 10, the scope has seen a lot of country and a lot of weather... from freezing cold, snow storm, rain storms, and even this mornings mix of rain and snow (and a couple of slips and falls). It has survived it all - I am midly impressed...+ the optics are really darn decent....

IMG_0472.jpg

On the way home this morning after the hunt I decided that I would shoot this load. This particular load has been in the gun since the evening of October 9. 120 grains of T7-2f, a .458/275 grain Lehigh in an MMP Orange sabot. I was very confident that the load would go boom correctly, but after the weather the gun has seen and in and out of the pick-up and the house - really thought it would be a good experiment.

Stop by 'soup can draw' - stopped on top of the hill overlooking the draw. Got laid the gun over the hood found an old coffee can in the junk below and touched it off. I hit perfectly - because it jumped up in the air - did a couple of sommer-saults and rolled down the bank. Thought it was about a 100 yard shot but decided to laser it 121 yards. Dang if it had just been a nice whitetail - I could show you that also.

When I got home I ran a couple of moist windex patches through the bore. Ran a dry patch and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Took it out in the garage popped a couple of primers - ran 2 dry patches and then ran a single just barely oiled patch of Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, then a dry patch. Tonight I will reload the gun for Monday morning action.

Suppose to be a lousy morning (weather wise) but gotta make hay when you have the opportunity...

Sabotloader,

Glad to see the rifle is working for you.

Now I sort of wish I had got one of those scopes. I had my Nikon Monarch 4X40 Develop a Parallax problem. Shipped it out to Nikon for repair, but since I was afraid it would not come back in time I ordered a Sightron S2 3X9X42. I am not happy with the scope at all. I got it monted and found that the target appears a little out of focus at the higher powers. Cant get it adjusted out either. It is more clear at low powers, but it annoyed the heck out of me when I was sighting it in. :evil: I ended up taking a Leupold off of another rifle to get me through season. Now I have to ship another scope out for repair and it is New. :x

How is the clarify of that Powder horn scope?

That looks like some nice country to hunt too. Did you see any that day?

ShawnT

That looks like good deer country, does it get a lot of pressure? Good luck on Monday!

Great write up Sabot. Good luck on yer hunt.

Cajun

That looks like good deer country, does it get a lot of pressure?

It does early in the season but then late people do not seem to show up out there... which is fine by me...

Sabotloader,great pics. It's hot and windy here in Il. plus our season (gun)hasen't came in yet! You guy's are killi'n me! :lol: ShawnT,Sightron is a "Top Drawer Company". Call them and I'm sure they will make it right. They also have one of the fastest "turn arounds" in the industry for service. I use that same scope on my Win 270. Never had a problem,and it IS clear at all power settings. Ron

You hunt in beautiful country.
Great pic's
Good luck my friend :D

We had a couple bulls bugling all last week . ???? Every time i used a cow call i would get either a bull or cow to answer . I thought it should have been way too late , but its been a weird year . Used a call to see were the elk were . :D Boy i wish i still had some big game to hunt this year with my muzzy . Next year i will try for a Cow tag and get the spike tag , and try for antelope . The seasons when by way too fast this year . :cry:

Latest posts

Back