sabotless .40 caliber versus .375

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
If a person were to rebarrel their Savage MLII to a subcaliber, would the .40 or the .375 barrel be the best using smokeless powder and please give your reasons why you think so?
This would assume that bullets can be found to fit, resized or the 9.3mm used in the .375. Consider the bullet selections and weights and types available, the powder column length, potential accuracy, recoil etc. - all factors. This would be used exclusively for big bodied deer only. Thanks Consider only those two calibers.

Jim,
Dumb question here - is the .375 legal for deer in Ohio? I know that is nearing the cut-off point for some states (e.g., .357 in IN).

If the rifle is to be used in a MLer or shotgun/MLer season, many states are left out with both. AR allows 40 as a minimum. I believe Indiana allows 38, if I remember a post correctly. The 200SST has been relatively well proven as a deer taker as has the 175 Barnes, and likely the 195 Barnes would also do well. An unknown to me is the 235 Hawk but I suspect it is good also. These bullets can be accurately shot @ 2800'/sec saboted and likely more sabotless. 300yds will be easily obtainable with these yet still have the shorter maximum range that G&F commissions desire in populated areas. The 260 Nosler, and 270g Hornady(BC .380), 300 Hornady(BC .460), etc are certainly enticing. Particularily interesting is the 225g Hornady (BC.320) which should be able to reach 2600'/sec.
or more. Pressure for a 270g bullet going 2530'/sec with 63g Varget would be appx 48,500 CUP(which likely would be close in PSI due to straight case characteristics). 80g H4350 gets 2609 with 43,400CUP also out of 24" barrel. Ballistically, the 375 certainly has better bullets for long range stuff and bullets designed to work at the velocity, you'd likely obtain. Both should work well. The 375 would get my vote if my state's legal statutes didn't get in the way.

Ohio permits the use of .38 caliber (bore) muzzleloaders and larger. I would hunt only in Ohio. Hopefully that helps clear up that issue. With that said I will await any further responses. Thanks again for the thoughts.

jims the problem with the .375 cal. is there is no standard barrel for sabotless shooting. the 9.3 mm barrel will work for a .35 cal.
you could have a special size barrel made but it would be expensive.
but the .375 cal. would be my choice too.
sb

Latest posts

Back