Favor To Ask.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuprofessor

Reaction score
Anyone on this forum reload their own 30-06 ammo? 
I am having problems with some of my spent brass cycling in my rifle.  What I mean is that when I place the empty (or reloaded) brass in my bolt action, I can not close the action on some of them.  I have a very primitive hand, single shell reloading set (LEE CLASSIC).  I tried my resizing tool, but still no help.  It has been suggested I get a better resize die, but money is kind of tight right now with my wife being off sick (since November 2012).
Would anyone be willing to resize (and ? trim) my brass (about 100) if I sent it to you?  I will pay postage both ways PLUS throw in your choice of whatever brass I have (9mm, 45ACP, 30-30,some 380, or alittle 243).
Thanks- just let me know your address and what brass you want.

wow that is odd, maybe something with the head space? I reload for the 06 but never ran into anything like this before. Let me call my bro in law and see what he thinks and i'll get back with you.

nuprofessor said:
Anyone on this forum reload their own 30-06 ammo? 
I am having problems with some of my spent brass cycling in my rifle.  What I mean is that when I place the empty (or reloaded) brass in my bolt action, I can not close the action on some of them.  I have a very primitive hand, single shell reloading set (LEE CLASSIC).  I tried my resizing tool, but still no help.  It has been suggested I get a better resize die, but money is kind of tight right now with my wife being off sick (since November 2012).
Would anyone be willing to resize (and ? trim) my brass (about 100) if I sent it to you?  I will pay postage both ways PLUS throw in your choice of whatever brass I have (9mm, 45ACP, 30-30,some 380, or alittle 243).
Thanks- just let me know your address and what brass you want.
So you have or have not checked the length of all your brass to make sure it's not over Max lenght?

Yes, I checked.  The overall length was actually slightly below (about .006) specs on some, but right on for the others.  The throat diameter and length were right on.  Base thickness was right on.  I randomly picked up brass (would chamber, would not) and measured each aspect.  Could not find a measurable difference between the two.  Only aspect I could not measure was the throat angle- by naked eye looked OK.  One thing I can think of was some of this brass was range pick up and some was fired in my own rifle.  Did not keep them separate, so don't know if that had any bearing.
I may be wasting my time by having someone else resize, but it is worth a try atleast.

If they were reloads, could be that some were bulged.

Either way, if you just sent a $10 bill to cover shipping, i'd be more than happy to help you out and resize those cases for you.

If the shells were fired in your same .30-06 the 1st time, they should fit with just neck sizing and trimming. The fired case conforms to your chamber and only the part that holds the bullet needs to be resized to make it grab the bullet. If you have more than one .30-06, these wouldn't be interchangeable with the other gun(s) with just neck sizing.
Perhaps you will need a new sizing die anyway, if they won't chamber after trimming.

He said some were range pick up's so he might have to full length resize and trim to size.

Thanks to all that replied.  Appreciate the response.
Yes I do have more than one 30-06, but my bolt is my primary 'go to' rifle (for longer range shots).  The other (Rem 740) has issues with shell extraction at times.  From what I have heard that is a typical prob for the Rem semi autos. For shorter range hunts, can't beat my Glenfield 30A in 30-30.  That 30-30 has taken more game than I can even recall.  It was given to me (Christmas by my lovely bride) new the first year after we were married (this September will be 32 years!)

Have someone that is going to full length resize (& trim if necessary) the brass for me.  We will see after that if it works out.  If not, I will just be out the postage money and may have to breakdown & buy some new brass to reload.

I am a member on several other forums and with exception of Texas Hunting Forum & this forum, I received ZERO responses with offers to help on my request .  Lets you know who your friends are- even though I have not personally met any of you (have met several on Texas forum).

Want to extend a well earned THANK YOU to CoyoteChuck52 from this forum for helping me with my problem.  Brass was sent, adjustments made, AND returned to me VERY FAST (LESS THAN one weeks turnaround time).  They work like a dream when chambered.  Still need to trim and deburr before loading, but I think things will work out fine.

Thanks again to my friends on FrontierMuzzleloading and to CoyoteChuck52 in particular.

I used to use a Lee Loader for my 308 and the shells was alwas tight since it  only sizes the neck.

In response to your ( 740 ) check to see if the dust cover is cracked or broken, the semi auto can be very fussy, but when cleaned properly they will work even in very cold weather. If you were closer I'd sure take a look at it for you, find a very good gunsmith and have him take it apart and clean her up for you. GOOD LUCK.

Cartridge cases for the Remington model 740 need to be full length resized at each reloading:  Some rifles require a small base die.  Failures to extract are often caused by a dirty or rusty chamber.

falcon /sqezer
Thought of that.  Had the chamber cleaned and polished.  Still problems

falcon
 Have never thought of brass resize as a problem with the 740.  May need to do alittle more investigating at the range.  And we all know how much we hate going to the range :D :lol: :bounce: :cheers:

Yea you might wanna take over the cleaning chores at home and send wifey to the range to do the dirty work ! ;) :lol:

Lets see Spit ..... the chances of that happening are ........................ the same as Holder resigning by the end of the month!

Just saying, but ................................................if Holder did resign by the end of the month I would be very happy to assume cleaning chores around the house.  And if the BUMMER went which him ..... it's game on baby for the cleanest house in the great US of A!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back