What barrel length would you buy????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What barrel length?

• 24"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26"

• 28"

• Total voters

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I plan on buying a new shotgun. I will not be shooting much sporting clays at all. This guns primary job will be hunting. Crows, Pheasants, and maybe some Grouse once in a while. I really wont even hunt Geese with it. I really cant decide which barrel. I'm favoring the 26" barrel.

Tom, I have 26" barrels on most of my shotguns that I hunt with. I like the way they swing for me. The bottom line is what fit's you the best and what you are comfortable with. Hope this helps.

Tom. went through same analysis before buyin my Browning Gold & BPS a few years ago. Both sport 26" bbl's & I have never regretted decision.

shotgun's

Tom,

I can remember when the most common barrel length on a skeet field was 26 inches. The sporting clays game changed all that. Now a 30 inch barrel is the most common with the 28 in a close second.

Once the barrel lengths started to increase the market was full of 26 inch barreled skeet guns nobody wanted.

The 28 inch is just fine for a sporting clay 5 stand gun but sporting clays
a 30 inch in standard even on a auto loader.

My Winchester super X model 1 Pheasant guns and skeet gun are 26 inch shotguns. My Winchester Super X model one 5 stand gun is 28 inches.

The Winchester Super X model 1 is un-questionably the best "automatic" shotgun ever built in the USA. John Saterwhite shot super X's before Benelli picked him up. A Winchester employee told me 3 years ago that if they built that gun again it would cost $2,000.00 per gun.
Winchester built less that 90,000 guns but are available on the used market. The shotgun is 100% steel in an out, built like a Model 12 that you do not have to pump.

The longer the shotgun barrel the less percieved lead to the target. :D

I remember a shooter in Conn. that had over 250,000 rounds in his Super X skeet gun and it still was going.

Greg

28" has a bit more fps but only marginally... 26" is a lot easier to handle...especially when grouse hunting. My Nova in 24" still works well for all the upland game I've hunted with it. I have a 20 ga Winchester with a 28" barrel and it handles well also..Still I'm going to get a 26" SBE soon... That's my two cents... The choke tubes make all the difference in the pattern but some say a back-bored barrel helps as well. Not sure how length affects that combo... Still my two cents....

Grouse said:
Thanks guys. I ordered a 26" Stoeger 2000 semi automatic today.
Good choice Tom!

About a barrel length. If I?m not mistaking effectively burn powder you only need 18?? or 19?? shotgun barrel, but fill of the gun in your hand (printability) starts to play a big role in choosing barrel length. The other factors also apply:
1. Action. Semiauto with 24?? barrel may be longer then break action with 28??.
2. Use. Hunting in the dense cover will call for shorter barrel (22?? - 24??).
3. etc.

I shoot 28" barrels on my double game guns, and my wife shoots 26".

With a semi-auto or similar longer action I shoot a shorter barrel.

jim

Back